Home Open Account Help 335 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Question regarding two WB Z trains on Donner this morning

Date: 08/14/20 15:02
Question regarding two WB Z trains on Donner this morning
Author: broken_link

So, I saw something that seemed different to me today, and I was wondering if anyone could shed light on what I saw.

This morning I saw what I believe were two different Z trains heading over Donner Pass. The first one I spotted on the Truckee Webcam right around dawn (give or take). The next one, or what I believe was the next one, I saw while out for a bike ride around 11 am at Soda Springs. Unless there was a problem with the first train I saw between Truckee and Soda Springs that delayed things for almost 5 hours, I assumed they were two different trains. I also assumed they were WB Z trains based on the containers and trailers (UPS, etc.), and as far as I was aware, the only WB intermodal trains on Donner are the ZG2LT and ZG2OAB. Unfortunately I didn't get numbers on the lead units.

Finally, I usually see the WB Z train in the evening around Donner Summit, though I don't know if when I see it in the evenings it is on time or behind schedule.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Sean

Date: 08/14/20 16:44
Re: Question regarding two WB Z trains on Donner this morning
Author: memphisfreight

UP had a shutdown on the Overland in eastern Iowa a few days ago due to the Derecho.  A lot of trains were 1-2 days late. 

Date: 08/14/20 17:05
Author: broken_link

Ah thank you, understood and makes sense. I now see there were service alerts due to the line between Cedar Rapids and Marshalltown being out-of-service and 48-72 hour delays.

Sean

memphisfreight Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> UP had a shutdown on the Overland in eastern Iowa
> a few days ago due to the Derecho.  A lot of
> trains were 1-2 days late. 

Date: 08/15/20 13:25
Author: ble692

They were likely ZG2LT trains. Lathrop got like 2 or 3 of them yesterday, one of which was 2 days late.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0348 seconds