Home Open Account Help 217 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Mission Bay Season Coming to a Close

Date: 08/22/20 08:49
Mission Bay Season Coming to a Close
Author: SCUfoamer

The Mission Bay Local operates Sun-Fri, leaving Warm Springs Yard in the early evening for points on the San Francisco Peninsula and back. From late March to early September the train navigates north San Jose in fantastic lighting conditions for photographers. From my home I have a perfect five minute audible warning to catch the train in Japantown and the old Lenzen Wye connecting the Warm Springs Sub. and Coast Sub. Here are a few favorites from the 2020 Mission Bay Season. You could say that one silver lining from this Pandemic is the increased ability to railfan. 

1. 3/20/20 - A pair of SD40Ns duck under Market Street as the heads west towards the Coast line. This perspective is looking straight towards the original Southern Pacific Depot between N. 4th and Market Streets. 

2. 4/05/20 - The same pair of SD40Ns drag a massive string of CEMEX hoppers and dirt cars through the double instersection of N. 7th and Jackson Streets in Japantown. The Mariani Fruit Packing Co. watertower can still be seen in its original location, no sourrounded by million dollar townhomes. 

3. 4/10/20 - Ex-WP Geep, UP9992 leads a short Mission Bay past College Park Station at CP Stockton. 

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/20 08:59 by SCUfoamer.

Date: 08/22/20 08:59
Re: Mission Bay Season Coming to a Close
Author: SCUfoamer

4. 4/21/20 - The Mission Bay delivers rebuild F40, JPBX922 to Caltrain

5. 8/22/20 - The SD40Ns were swapped for pair of SD59MXs in July. Same location at the Market St. overpass

Date: 08/22/20 09:22
Author: jimB

Great shots from a fun area! I assume you are not one of the Japantown residents complaining about the trains!

Jim B

Date: 08/22/20 12:12
Author: PasadenaSub

Great set of photos and sweet summer lighting.

Rich

Date: 08/22/20 12:56
Author: TCnR

Nice series of photos, I notice there's been some changes to the background.

When you think of it we're as far from Summer Solstice as we would be on April 22. Sorry about that but it's one of those things Photographers notice.

Date: 08/22/20 15:49
Author: BoilingMan

All nice- but #2 seems curiously the most compelling...
SR

Date: 08/22/20 20:28
Author: cchan006

Nice angles, compositions, and variety of power!

Back when Mission Bay used to originate out of South San Francisco, I'd wait for summer light to document the various industries it served, like Calstone and Pine Cone Lumber. 

"Butter house" (Unilever) would have been served in daylight, had Mission Bay originated out of Warm Springs back then, but alas, they are gone, and so is Calstone.

Date: 08/22/20 21:05
Author: coach

I've always wanted to see a train cross over the active light rail line via the new overpass built for SP/UP. along 1st Street.  Sadly, not yet...

Are both legs of the wye in operation??  Last time I looked (years ago), both legs were still in place, but one leg was very rusty.  

Date: 08/22/20 21:27
Author: mojaveflyer

Nice light in an area I hardly recognize anymore...

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 08/22/20 21:55
Author: jbwest

mojaveflyer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice light in an area I hardly recognize
> anymore...

Wow, me too.  I used to work the Coast through San Jose and it was a whole different world.  Thanks for the great pix, that third one kinda blew my mind.  San Jose?  I just recently "discovered" the SSF local, and it is interesting to get a better understanding of how traffic now moves to and from the Peninsula.

JBWX

Date: 08/22/20 22:00
Author: cchan006

coach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've always wanted to see a train cross over the
> active light rail line via the new overpass built
> for SP/UP. along 1st Street.  Sadly, not yet...

I posted a video in December 6, 2009, of the crossing. Not only that, the Permanente Local met a light rail going underneath.

> Are both legs of the wye in operation??  Last
> time I looked (years ago), both legs were still in
> place, but one leg was very rusty.  

Both legs have been used more or less continuously as long as I've been a TO member (more than a decade).

Jobs have changed around, but those that go to Luther Jct. and the cement plant use the east (south) leg. Add Gilroy and Hollister jobs now that those jobs originate out of Warm Springs.

West (north) leg have been used by the "Rock Job." that shuttle Granite Rock hoppers between there and the facility at Berryessa. Permanente Local used that leg to service Graphics Packaging ("paper house") on the Coast Sub, but that business is gone now. The Mission Bay documented by SCUfoamer uses the west leg to go to South City.

Plenty of other examples throughout the years, like Caltrain and UP turning around equipment and power, autorack empties, and even a Loram rail grinder.

Date: 08/24/20 16:14
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!  I like Pic 1!!

Date: 09/24/20 09:54
Author: Matt_Gidley

Great composition and light!  Like others have said, the SJ Skyline is SO differrent.  I have a light rail shot somehwhere where a train was crossing at the same time.  Have to see if I can dig it out.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1468 seconds