Home Open Account Help 240 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Illinois Railway Musem is not dead

Date: 09/06/20 06:07
Illinois Railway Musem is not dead
Author: robj

9/5/2020 - Illinois Railway Museum, Union Illinois
The were operating an afternoon to evening schedule opening at 2:00 PM till 9:00 I believe. 
I played tennis in Chicago starting at  8 and logged 5 sets of doubles and then hanging around the park watching, picking up a chicken Shish dinner to go at Mr. Zee's so the day was already a success.  Park is very busy, lots of outdoor activities are busy which wold be positive long term side effect if it holds. I went by a bike shop for an accesory and the store had no bikes.

Got to IRM around 6 with the main target being Shay #5 but caught a few other things things.  Shay photos suffered somewhat from normal museum type location and I have to through but I included a few.

1) Roaring Elgin
2) Illinois Terminal on the Street Car loop and my favorites on the short Rapid Transit Run.
3) Legend on the trolley loop

Bob Jordan

Date: 09/06/20 06:12
Re: Illinois Railway Musem is not dead

4-5)  Couple more of the transit run while waiting for Shay
6) The Shay luckily operating as they were have some problems (bearing??)
=  From IRM
J. Neils Lumber Company Shay #5 passed its 1472 day Federal inspection on Sunday, October 28, 2018. It then made a short test run on the main line pulling three coaches. This is the first run by the steam engine at IRM since September of 1999. In additional to being brought up to Federal standards, work completed on the engine in recent years included a new partial front tube sheet, a new grate system, and a new nozzle and smoke box setup. The boiler pressure was also raised from 160 psi to 190 psi.Shay #5 was built by the Lima Locomotive Works in 1929 and operated for its entire career in the Pacific Northwest logging industry. It is the only geared steam locomotive preserved at IRM and was the first steam locomotive to operate at IRM, back in 1966. The engine will be in train service next year supplementing Frisco 1630.

Bob

Date: 09/06/20 06:16

7-8)  Couple more Shay #5

Last one I just walked into, luckily they stopped briefly and fellow up close stepped aside but really a grab shot.

Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/20 06:19 by robj.

Date: 09/06/20 10:18
Author: krm152

Thanks for the excellent photos frokm IRM.
Especially like C&AE and CTA.
ALLEN

Date: 09/06/20 10:24
Author: agent1522

It looks like it was a fabulous event.  Wish I could have been there. Hopefully they will do it again.

Date: 09/06/20 10:39
Author: zoohogger

The lights inside the cars in 3 and 4 make them super images. 
Well done.

Rick Z

Date: 09/06/20 10:52
Author: Plowhandle

Thank you for sharing these beauty images !

Date: 09/06/20 10:58
Author: wp1801

Great photos!

Date: 09/06/20 14:01
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!

Date: 09/06/20 14:40
Author: kevink

Nice pics! IRM does a great job with their evening sessions

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0552 seconds