Home Open Account Help 255 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Beatrice (NEB) Local

Date: 09/23/20 10:03
Beatrice (NEB) Local
Author: twjurgens

BNSF has a twice weekly (Monday and Thursday) local that runs from Crete to Beatrice, Nebraska.  They currently service the Smithfield plant south of Crete, a fertilizer plant at Hoag (north of Beatrice), and a battery manufacturer at Beatrice.  Koch Industries has a plant at Hoag also, but it doesn't look like it's seen rail service for some time.  Another ag industry is expanding at Hoag and work is in progress to build a siding for that.  Beatrice has a biodiesel facility that is not currently operational but is to open again after the first of the year.  Southeast Co-op in Beatrice also loads unit grain trains once or twice a month.  Existing and new business should assure the continued existence of this approximately 30 mile branch! There was still a little smoke and haze in the air Monday but it wasn't nearly as bad as last week! 

hadn't followed this train for quite a while so Monday seemed like a good day to do that. The train usually leaves Crete around 10 AM but air problems with one of the cars caused a 20 or so minute delay.  The first two shots are of the train at the Highway 33 crossing on the west side of Crete.  The train is southbound (rr west) and is curving away from the Chicago - Denver mainline. The next shot is on the north side of Wilber at the Country Road and Railroad Streets crossing. 

(stay tuned, more to come)  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/20 10:14 by twjurgens.

Date: 09/23/20 10:07
Re: Beatrice (NEB) Local

The fourth shot is at the East Fillmore Avenue crossing in Dewitt.  Gotta love those old elevators! 

The fifth shot is about 2 miles north of Hoag.  If I read the signage correctly, it's milepost 22.29 (measured from Crete).  

The sixth shot is of the train arriving at Hoag.  The hopper, I believe, contains plastic pellets for a battery manufacturer in Beatrice and will be taken there after switching at Hoag is complete.  The tanks are for the south fertilizer plant at Hoag.  In the this shot, you can see that a switch has been cut in for the new siding there.

(don't touch that dial, more)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/20 10:15 by twjurgens.

Date: 09/23/20 10:12

The seventh shot is also at Hoag but a wider view. 

In the 8th shot, the engines are returning to Hoag after spotting the hopper in the industrial park at Beatrice. 

Koch Industries' facility is on the left in the 9th shot.

(one more)   

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/20 10:15 by twjurgens.

Date: 09/23/20 10:14

All dressed up and no where to go!!  In the last shot, the train is ready for the return trip to Crete but maintenance work just north of Hoag caused what was estimated to be a 2 hour delay.  Time to head home!   

Date: 09/23/20 11:33
Author: callum_out

Years past in the railroad world Beatrice used to be a big deal as evidenced by the ex-Q large depot.
Great shots, was down there a lot, never bothered to take any pictures.

Out 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/20 16:57 by callum_out.

Date: 09/23/20 12:17
Author: bobk

Nice series!

Date: 09/23/20 13:37
Author: czephyr17

Nice series of photos. I like how clean BNSF local power always seems to look.

If you get a chance to post photos four through six, I would love to see them, especially the one with the old elevator. Thanks!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/23/20 15:29
Author: radar

It's neat to see some photos from that area.  I had an aunt and uncle from Fairbury, and other relatives in that area.  It's been a long time since I visited there.

Date: 09/23/20 16:27
Author: santafe199

Excellent chase! And I'm glad you remembered where Beatrice was. It's not easy losing a town of 12,400+! It takes skill & daring. And maybe just wee bit of corn (husker) whiskey???

;^)

Date: 09/24/20 05:53

The Gage County Historical Society owns that depot now.  There were 3 fairly substantial brick or stone depots in Beatrice.  The UP depot was across the street east of the Q and the RI had one about 6 or 7  blocks south of those 2.  Now, only the BNSF has track in Beatrice and much of that track has been removed.  

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Years past in the railroad world Beatrice used to
> be a big deal as evidenced by the ex-Q large
> depot.
> Great shots, was down there a lot, never bothered
> to take any pictures.
>
> Out 

Date: 09/24/20 05:57

The occasional shot of fire water is good for what ails ya!  Beatrice has shrunk a bit since the days of my wasted and miscreant youth but I can usually still find it....especially with the help of the map app on my phone.

santafe199 Wrote:
> Excellent chase! And I'm glad you remembered
> where Beatrice was. It's not easy losing a town
> of 12,400+! It takes skill & daring. And maybe
> just wee bit of corn (husker) whiskey???
>
> ;^)

Date: 09/24/20 10:23
Author: callum_out

Uhmm, and not to disparage Beatrice BUT it had the first new style Sonic that I had seen that was closied ie 
out of business. 

Out 

Date: 09/24/20 17:55
Author: MNNRfan

It's been quite a while since I've been in the Lincoln area.

Couple questions:

I'm guessing a local out of Lincoln takes the cars out to Crete for the Crete-Beatrice job?

Hobson Yard in Lincoln. Is it a humpbyard or was it at some point?

Thanks from a former Cornhusker.

Date: 09/25/20 05:41
Author: SCKP187

Bunch of nice shots Tom.  Really like #5 & #6 and the nose shot coming around the curve really displays action
Brian Stevens

Date: 09/25/20 17:55

It's open again now...good place for an oreo shake!

Date: 09/25/20 17:58

I think the cars do come out of Lincoln.  The original hump at Hobson is long gone.  They did put in a smaller version a few years after the original was removed.

MNNRfan Wrote:
> It's been quite a while since I've been in the
> Lincoln area.
>
> Couple questions:
>
> I'm guessing a local out of Lincoln takes the cars
> out to Crete for the Crete-Beatrice job?
>
> Hobson Yard in Lincoln. Is it a humpbyard or was
> it at some point?
>
> Thanks from a former Cornhusker.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0969 seconds