Home Open Account Help 396 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > a short local

Date: 09/24/20 06:04
a short local
Author: santafe199

I would say this is the shortest local train I ever saw. But it actually ties a few other 1-car local trains I’ve seen and even worked at times during my career. It’s still an amusing sight, no matter how many times you see it…

1. & 2. BNSF 2595 & 2672 lead a solitary car past a high-yellow signal at the east end of Gage (NE) siding.

Thanks for looking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

count-down to norman ah bates

Date: 09/24/20 06:30
Re: a short local
Author: Bob3985

Looks like a load of coal so maybe it's a repaired bad order.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 09/24/20 16:06
Author: koloradokid

Bob3985 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like a load of coal so maybe it's a repaired
> bad order.

The rusty last wheel set screams just that.

Robert

Date: 09/24/20 16:38
Author: Ritzville

Nice shots of a local having a nice easy ride.

Larry

Date: 09/24/20 17:03
Author: PHall

More of a "go fetch" run then anything else.

Date: 09/24/20 17:40
Author: santafe199

PHall Wrote: > ... More of a "go fetch" run ...

That's what I was wondering. But I can't imagine the BNSF sending a crew + power out to rescue 1 BO car. It makes much more sense to have a local crew pick it up. I've been over the Kansas City ~ St Joseph ~ Lincoln main a few times now, and it appears to me there are still a handful of towns with potentially viable service spurs. So it would make sense to have some sort of local service between Lincoln & (at least) Falls City. I think I understand why a rescued B/O coal load would be brought back west to Lincoln. Much easier to insert it into the correct unit coal train during the 1000 mile inspection, which I'm assuming the BNSF still does at Lincoln. Rather than having some monster coal train stop to pick up 1 car and perform the applicable air test. That could sew up a few crossings for quite some time...

Lance/199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/20 08:05 by santafe199.

Date: 09/25/20 05:23
Author: SCKP187

Neat shots---really like the going away with the yellow block
Brian Stevens

Date: 09/26/20 14:51
Author: Blackfoot

I caught a one car CP train in Toronto ON this afternoon - with a DPU, just in case they need that extra power!  Watching it go by, the first thing I thought about was this post.  I would have posted here but it's not western, so it's on the Canadian Board.

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?15,5110955,5110955#msg-5110955

Cheers,
Dwayne

Date: 09/26/20 16:10
Author: agentatascadero

As a non-railroader, I'm curious about this......isn't a one car train the shortest possible?  Wouldn't it be a light engine move if no trailiing cars?  Or, is it possible for a light engine move to have a freight train designation?

AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0458 seconds