Home Open Account Help 386 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Fall Colors at Hinsdale

Date: 10/14/20 19:18
Fall Colors at Hinsdale
Author: kevink

Despite a very dry spell July-August this year, the Chicago area is seeing some decent fall colors this year. Hinsdale IL on BNSF's Chicago Sub is no exception. You have to be quick though especially with all the high winds we have had all week.
Last Thursday, 10/8/2020, a westbound Metra express rolls by a brilliant red maple at Garfield Street.
Minutes later, a westbound freight rolls over the Washington Street crossing. Note that big honey locust tree behind the power, we will see it again.

Date: 10/14/20 19:19
Re: Fall Colors at Hinsdale

By Sunday, 10/12, that red maple had just about peaked as another westbound Metra rolled past just before sunset.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/20 19:22 by kevink.

Date: 10/14/20 19:19

By Tuesday, 10/13, that honey locust was peaking out as a westbound trio of trains passed by.
First up was a short freight led by BNSF 1706 still in BN green.
Minutes behind the freight was the local RCHI-458 led by BNSF 4238
One more headlight was visible to the east so I hung around until Metra 212 made its station stop.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/20 19:35 by kevink.

Date: 10/14/20 20:07
Author: Ritzville

Very NICE series with the trains and great looking fall color!

Larry

Date: 10/15/20 03:22
Author: robj

Found some nice spots, was some good days to get out.

Bob Jordan

Date: 10/15/20 07:19
Author: bmarti7

Nice!

Bismarck Bill 

Date: 10/15/20 07:31
Author: Fred

Great colors ! When I take Amtrak to Chicago for railfanning,  Hinsdale is where I go because Highlands is only walking distance away as well. Metra, Amtrak, & BNSF provides a nice variety of trains. Thanks for sharing

Date: 10/15/20 09:09
Author: agent1522

Absolutely fantastic photos Kevin.  After living in Arizona, where everything is tan or brown to match the desert and Washington State, where everythig is green, I'm finally returning to Chicagoland next spring.  I can't wait to return to Wheaton, Naperville and Joliet where my railfanning began.

Date: 10/15/20 20:34
Author: coach

All those slant-nose METRA EMD units are much more attractive than any current offerings.  I wish there more of them running around.

Date: 10/16/20 10:34
Author: bobk

Great series!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0553 seconds