Home Open Account Help 348 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Scenery changes

Date: 10/21/20 21:59
Scenery changes
Author: DGOLDE

I think that everyone who has ever taken photographs of trains for a number years has seen how the scenery changes at a particular location changes the photo look over the years.  The changes in the size of trees and other scenery at the WP/UP Keddie bridges is a good example.  What was wide open scene in 1974 has seen 46 years of growth reducing the photo opening available to see the train and bridges.

I would like to share with everyone an example of tree/plant growth that changes photo location in Simi Valley, CA.  Both photos were taken at MP438.24 which is the road crossing just east of the Simi Valley track station.

The first photo of UP X4835W LOF 65 was taken on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 at 3:26 pm.  

The second photo of UP X8830W LOF 65 was taken on Wednesday, October 21, 2020 at 3:25pm.

Note the lack of tree/plant shadows on the train in first photo compared to the second photo where there is a number of tree/plant shadows on the train.  The photos of both trains were taken only a minute apart and with only five days difference in their respective calendar year.  In just four years the trees have grown enough to change look of the photo.  In case you are wondering if the train ran earlier in the day there would be less tree shadows on the track but the sun would no longer be on the nose of the first unit this time of year.

I hope you find observation interesting.

Date: 10/22/20 06:13
Re: Scenery changes
Author: 3rdswitch

Actually, a nice location. Guad I assume?
JB

Date: 10/22/20 08:11
Author: aehouse

In the eastern half of the country, many if not most of the classic photo locations have been "treed-in" over the years, as the disappearance of code lines and other factors have eliminated the railroads' needs to keep their rights of way clear of obscuring foliage.

Art House

Date: 10/22/20 12:06
Author: DGOLDE

In both photos which were taken on a Wednesday the train is the Leesdale, LOF 65.  The Leesdale goes from Gemco/Van Nuys to Oxnard and then returns back to Gemco/Van Nuys on the same day.

The northbound Guadalupe train which is the LOF 67 runs on Mondays and Thursdays leaving Gemco at around 3 pm.  The southbound train from Guadalupe which is the LOF 66 runs on Tuesdays and Fridays leaving Guadalupe at around 3 pm or earlier.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0438 seconds