Home Open Account Help 171 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > speaking of LONG bnsf trains........


Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2


Date: 11/20/20 09:29
speaking of LONG bnsf trains........
Author: goneon66

here is a video representation to lackawana's post on "more long bnsf trains."

yesterday afternoon i caught this w/b 4x2x2 bnsf intermodal train with BOTH domestic and international stacks on the seligman sub just w/of hackberry, az.

just another day out here.............

66

 

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!




Date: 11/20/20 09:53
Re: speaking of LONG bnsf trains........
Author: Ritzville

Nice catch 66 of a very FAST moving intermodal train! Very NICE video!

Larry



Date: 11/20/20 09:56
Re: speaking of LONG bnsf trains........
Author: Lackawanna484

Thanks.

It's sad when we consider some of these super long trains would have been three separate crew starts just two decades ago.

Posted from Android



Date: 11/20/20 09:58
Re: speaking of LONG bnsf trains........
Author: tomstp

Wonder the amount of tonnage on that train.



Date: 11/20/20 10:33
Re: speaking of LONG bnsf trains........
Author: DaveL

So, how much time will they loose to fuel that thing in Belen, NM.??



Date: 11/20/20 10:59
Re: speaking of LONG bnsf trains........
Author: goneon66

10-15K' trains and any terminal congestion issues that result in other casualties ( delayed trains, recrews, etc. ) are some figures i'd be interested in.

oh, i just returned from 40 minutes trackside and saw these:

- e/b 3x1x1 manifest 
- wb 3x3x0 manifest (that beast was the FIRST 3x3x0 w/b manifest i have ever seen out here.)
- e/b 4x2 stack train
- w/b 3x2 manifest

my next stop was for a lottery ticket..........

66

 



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/20 11:05 by goneon66.



Date: 11/20/20 11:04
Re: speaking of LONG bnsf trains........
Author: PHall

tomstp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wonder the amount of tonnage on that train.

Well, since it's a westbound and the fact that there's a shortage of containers in asia, I'm willing to bet that a fair number of those marine boxes are probably empties.
The heavy part of that train is probably the part with the domestic boxes.



Date: 11/20/20 11:37
Re: speaking of LONG bnsf trains........
Author: Lackawanna484

DaveL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So, how much time will they loose to fuel that
> thing in Belen, NM.??

Belen seems to have mastered the fueling of mid and EOT units with fuel trucks. You can see them on the VR camera in front of Harvey House.

I asked about that a few weeks ago.

Posted from Android



Date: 11/20/20 12:24
Re: speaking of LONG bnsf trains........
Author: rrman6

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> DaveL Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > So, how much time will they loose to fuel that
> > thing in Belen, NM.??
>
> Belen seems to have mastered the fueling of mid
> and EOT units with fuel trucks. You can see them
> on the VR camera in front of Harvey House.
>
> I asked about that a few weeks ago.
>
> Posted from Android

Maybe they've taken training from NASCAR pit crewmen!! 🤣  Just don't expect them to trade out the wheels!



Date: 11/20/20 14:37
Re: speaking of LONG bnsf trains........
Author: Hookdragkick

tomstp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wonder the amount of tonnage on that train.


A 16K with mostly double-stacked containers can push 18K tons; slightly heavier than a 124 bucket coal train.

Posted from Android



Date: 11/20/20 14:56
Re: speaking of LONG bnsf trains........
Author: goneon66

what is the max tonnage on an intermodal that is good for 70 mph?

66



Date: 11/20/20 14:58
Re: speaking of LONG bnsf trains........
Author: Lackawanna484

Hookdragkick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>SNIP
>
> A 16K with mostly double-stacked containers can
> push 18K tons; slightly heavier than a 124 bucket
> coal train.
>
> Posted from Android


I've noticed that eastbound stack trains through Fort Madison and Flagstaff are more likely to have mid and EOT DPU than the likely less loaded westbounds.



Date: 11/20/20 15:21
Re: speaking of LONG bnsf trains........
Author: Hookdragkick

goneon66 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> what is the max tonnage on an intermodal that is
> good for 70 mph?
>
> 66

Good question! As long as you have DPU with their Automatic Brake Valves cut-in, and the DPU are placed in compliant locations of the train, speed is the max per that particular train makeup.

Factors such as available, operable Dynamic Braking and the integrity of your brake pipe will play a part in how you want to run said train.

Also, 19K tons is the heaviest Intermodal I've seen now as of today.

Posted from Android



Date: 11/20/20 15:25
Re: speaking of LONG bnsf trains........
Author: Hookdragkick

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hookdragkick Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >SNIP
> >
> > A 16K with mostly double-stacked containers can
> > push 18K tons; slightly heavier than a 124
> bucket
> > coal train.
> >
> > Posted from Android
>
>
> I've noticed that eastbound stack trains through
> Fort Madison and Flagstaff are more likely to have
> mid and EOT DPU than the likely less loaded
> westbounds.

Good observation! I bet we see more DPU as we get deeper into winter. Even the Z9s will be pushing.



Date: 11/20/20 17:46
Re: speaking of LONG bnsf trains........
Author: Chad

Why wouldn't they not take the single container cars and stack them to make double stack cars to shorten the length?



Date: 11/20/20 17:52
Re: speaking of LONG bnsf trains........
Author: goneon66

Chad Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why wouldn't they not take the single container
> cars and stack them to make double stack cars to
> shorten the length?

because the single containers are too heavy for one well car (i.e. grain)............

66



Date: 11/20/20 23:56
Re: speaking of LONG bnsf trains........
Author: 8notch

Nice video 66, how did that lottery ticket work out🧐
Robert in Lagrande Oregon 



Date: 11/21/20 07:32
Re: speaking of LONG bnsf trains........
Author: Mojacket

Great video as always, 66!



Date: 11/22/20 10:17
Re: speaking of LONG bnsf trains........
Author: coach

> > Why wouldn't they not take the single container
> > cars and stack them to make double stack cars
> to
> > shorten the length?
>
> because the single containers are too heavy for
> one well car (i.e. grain)............
>
> 66

So, that means the container is loaded with about 27 net tons of grain, which would the highway legal limit.  Can't the intermodal cars handle 2 containers, legally maxed out in weight??  Or are these grain containers being loaded with far heavier loads??



Date: 11/23/20 02:51
Re: speaking of LONG bnsf trains........
Author: RailRat

Great stuff 66!

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA



Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2


[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0385 seconds