Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > old Warehouse No 1 building at Port of LA

Date: 12/22/20 13:33
old Warehouse No 1 building at Port of LA
Author: GreenFlag

I've always been interested in the old Warehouse No 1 building and the surrounding area. It's located about as far out into the harbor as possible. It was built in 1917 and is now designated as a CA State Historical Landmark. I read where there is a proposal to possibly redevelop the property. 
It's a great place to park for a while as you can see ships entering and leaving the Port of LA. I stopped by there on an overcast day last October for the first time in years.
The third photo I took back on 5-31-81 and it's remarkably changed little since then. At that time, it was still recieving occasional boxcars via the Harbor Belt Line. Barely visible in the photo, but there is a yellow RBOX spotted just inside the doorway on the left. Now, the rail connection is long gone, but lots of rails still in the street. 

Date: 12/22/20 13:36
Re: old Warehouse No 1 building at Port of LA

Here's a view of the old GATX Terminal just down the street from Warehouse 1. It was a large tank farm switched by the Harbor Belt Line back in the day.
Next photo of one of the old switches in the street there.
Sixth photo was taken on 5-31-81 and is just down the RR lead at old GATX 5 & 6. It is long gone and no rail connections anywhere near here now. That old highway viaduct is gone too.

Date: 12/22/20 13:38

The next two photos taken last October. There are still several of the old berth warehouses in the area, probably some of the only ones left in all of the Ports of LA and LB. 
Last photo is of a similar old berth warehouse (153 & 156) that was undergoing demolition in July 1981. It was located near the now gone HBL Pier A Yard in Wilmington.
Thanks for looking.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/20 13:43 by GreenFlag.

Date: 12/22/20 13:43
Author: spider1319

Wow!Great info and report.Thanks for posting.Bill Webb

Date: 12/22/20 14:11
Author: jst3751

GreenFlag Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The next two photos taken last October. There are
> still several of the old berth warehouses in the
> area, probably some of the only ones left in all
> of the Ports of LA and LB. 
> Last photo is of a similar old berth warehouse
> (153 & 156) that was undergoing demolition in July
> 1981. It was located near the now gone HBL Pier A
> Yard in Wilmington.
> Thanks for looking.

I believe the only other berth warehouse within LA/LB ports are the 2 at the end of Pier F LB, F205-F206

Date: 12/22/20 15:00
Author: chrisbutts

Back in the early 90s there were quite a few box cars being sent west loaded with cotton for export and they were spotted at these warehouses.  Of course, didn't take pictures...

Date: 12/22/20 15:34
Author: usmc1401

Quite a few commercials and movies are shot on this street.

Date: 12/22/20 16:01
Author: PHall

The old break bulk traffic these warehouses were designed for is long gone. Replaced by containerization which doesn't require warehouses at the ports.

Date: 12/22/20 16:49
Author: Laurence

I work in the film business in LA as a lighting technician and have worked there a few times. I love seeing the big ships sailing into LA harbor. 

Glad to see it is a historic site. It's a cool old building that was built to last. 

Date: 12/22/20 17:18
Author: jst3751

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The old break bulk traffic these warehouses were
> designed for is long gone. 

While it may only be 5% of what it used to be, there is still some break bulk traffic consistently happening. Very large tires, various steel products, some forestry products. I don't know if LB Pier D still gets any but I think all or most is done at F206-F205. Although Google satilite image shows Pier T may still be getting forestry products.

Date: 12/22/20 21:55
Author: wag

Around 50 years ago in one of these old warehouses,  I was shown an old baggage car from England. Supposedly it had carried the body of Winston Churchill. Anybody else remember seeing or hearing of the car? Wag

Date: 12/23/20 08:23
Author: King_Coal

Interesting array of port facilities. Thanks for sharing.

Date: 12/24/20 13:57
Author: ns1000

Interesting pics...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0819 seconds