Home Open Account Help 296 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > George Air Force Base Engine

Date: 01/02/21 19:29
George Air Force Base Engine
Author: Woodman

It think it was back in the 1980's that the engine at George Air Force Base was moved.  Does anyone know where it is now?  What was it's number?  Thanks to anyone who can help.

Date: 01/02/21 19:58
Re: George Air Force Base Engine
Author: Pacific5th

I did not even realize they had rail service there. Back in 2004 BLT 1/1 did a field op there where we practiced urban ops. For about two weeks we essentially trashed the old base houseing. It was wierd being set up on road blocks with machine guns and having school busses drive by. It was a lot of fun especially when some of us in the arty battey Tango 5/11 got picked to agress the grunts. Even though I screwed up my ankle I had a great time helping to literally destroy a infantry company. That being said how did  the tracks access the base?

Date: 01/02/21 20:37
Author: miralomarail

Here is a photo of the Air Force # 1689 a GE 80 Ton at George AFB  in July 1977 and another photo of the 1689 after it was loaded on a Special Flatcar in Victorville , Ca 

And by March 1989 it was at Wright-Patterson AFB in Ohio 

Wright Patterson no longer has a Railline

Tom Hirsch
Cherry Valley, Ca

Date: 01/02/21 20:56
Author: SCAX3401

USAF 1689 was the sold by the Air Force and ended by as an industrial switcher at a Sunrise Cooperative (a grain elevator) in Botkins, Ohio.  It was still there in 2014 but I don't know if has moved on since that time.

Date: 01/03/21 04:03
Author: Evan_Werkema

BNSF6400 Wrote:

> It was still there in 2014 but I don't know if has
> moved on since that time.

Looks promising: https://goo.gl/maps/8QjSgCt9xPUHXYna6

Date: 01/03/21 11:31
Author: Woodman

The tracks came up out of Victorville on the north side of the base.  When they got rid of the engine, they got rid of everything railroad then.  A friend of mind found three switch machines in the dumpster and got one of them.  He gave it to me for a mail box holder and I still use it.  In a few years i will have to get rid of it, how would I do that?

Date: 01/04/21 20:34
Author: bnsfdevore

Woodman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The tracks came up out of Victorville on the north
> side of the base.  When they got rid of the
> engine, they got rid of everything railroad
> then.  A friend of mind found three switch
> machines in the dumpster and got one of them.  He
> gave it to me for a mail box holder and I still
> use it.  In a few years i will have to get rid of
> it, how would I do that?
Trainorders.com Classifieds or Ebay.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0502 seconds