Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > The Experiment

Date: 01/18/21 09:59
The Experiment
Author: twjurgens

I've been wanting to try for some shots of a coal train on the Neb City line with some sunshine rather than the clouds we've been getting.  Didn't want to leave the Chiefs game I was watching but the forecast for this week doesn't look really promising for a lot of sun.  We've got a busy week on top of that! 

The train reached Syracuse around 5-ish this afternoon and light was disappearing fast.  Shooting at a high iso with film always produced a grainy image, for me anyway.  Digital is a lot more forgiving but I was still hesitant to go higher than 400.    After using auto settings for MANY years, experimenting with manual is an adventure.  

I had a couple of minutes before the train got to my location so tried a couple of different combinations of settings.  The images looked good on the camera back so I went with the experiment.  The first 2 shots were at ISO 800 (horrors!), f 3.8, and a shutter speed of 1/640.  The last one was ISO 800, f 3.8, shutter 1/320.  Minimal editing to light in PSE.   As slow as the train was moving, a slower shutter speed and different f might have worked better. The first two views show BNSF 8426 and 8574 at the first crossing west of Syracuse.   The last view is of dpu's 9327, 6388, and 8589.  Grades on this line take lots of power!

In a couple of months, the longer days will provide much more light than now.  Gotta say though, the late day light in winter makes for some dramatic pics.  In a couple more months, getting these late day views will be a little easier because of the longer days.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/21 09:59 by twjurgens.

Date: 01/18/21 10:00
Re: The Experiment
Author: bmarti7

Really like no. 1 Tom. Colors plus old farm building.

Bismarck Bill

Date: 01/18/21 13:29
Author: Copy19

Do I read this correctly that you left the Chiefs game on television to shoot pictures?

JB - Omaha

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/21 13:29 by Copy19.

Date: 01/18/21 13:45

Yeah....but, the Explorer has a good radio and excellent volume control!!  Sounds like Mahomes is iffy for next weekend.  Practice starts again Wednesday, we'll see if he's there. He may not make that one but maybe Thursday or Friday.

Copy19 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do I read this correctly that you left the Chiefs
> game on television to shoot pictures?
>
> JB - Omaha

Date: 01/18/21 14:01
Author: santafe199

Looks good! That low winter sun/golden hour was worth missing the second half. Of course, you still your amateur play-by-play announ... I mean text-er to keep you informed!

;^)

Date: 01/18/21 14:03
Author: Copy19

Hmmm.   Never thought of the car radio.

JB - Omaha

twjurgens Wrote:
> Yeah....but, the Explorer has a good radio and
> excellent volume control!!  Sounds like Mahomes
> is iffy for next weekend.  Practice starts again
> Wednesday, we'll see if he's there. He may not
> make that one but maybe Thursday or Friday.
>
> Copy19 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Do I read this correctly that you left the
> Chiefs
> > game on television to shoot pictures?
> >
> > JB - Omaha

Date: 01/18/21 14:06
Author: exhaustED

Very nice shots - it's amazing what can be achieved with pretty high ISOs these days! 

Date: 01/18/21 14:26
Author: NormSchultze

That's why God made SirisFM. You can get NFL/NHL/NBA.   

Date: 01/18/21 15:09

Between your texts and the radio, I was well informed!

santafe199 Wrote:
> Looks good! That low winter sun/golden hour was
> worth missing the second half. Of course, you
> still your amateur play-by-play announ... I mean
> text-er to keep you informed!
>
> ;^)

Date: 01/18/21 18:05
Author: SCKP187

Nice shots Tom
Brian Stevens

Date: 01/19/21 07:42
Author: ntharalson

Good stuff, thanks for posting.  Is there some reason this train is 2x3 configuration?  No loop at the power plant?  Just curious.

I've stopped watching games, except golf, and was torn on the Chiefs-Browns.  Being from the Midwest, I  did want the Chiefs to win.  However, when I first became aware of the NFL, I lived in Cleveland and still follow the Browns.  Hopefully Mahomes will be okay for the Bills game.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 01/19/21 13:52
Author: jimB

The first shot is a gem. Great light and background.

Our DVR has allowed helped on the now rare occasion that we get something interesting in these parts...

Jim B

Date: 01/19/21 13:59

There is a loop at the plant but there are some steep grades on this line.  One of them begins at 56th Street in Lincoln and climbs to just past Cheney east of Lincoln.  Another is also an eastbound grade east of Syracuse.  It takes lots of "gitty up" for 135 - 140 loads!  There are lots of curves and some smaller grades on this line as well. 

There is a loop at the plant 

ntharalson Wrote:
> Good stuff, thanks for posting.  Is there some
> reason this train is 2x3 configuration?  No loop
> at the power plant?  Just curious.
>
> I've stopped watching games, except golf, and was
> torn on the Chiefs-Browns.  Being from the
> Midwest, I  did want the Chiefs to win. 
> However, when I first became aware of the NFL, I
> lived in Cleveland and still follow the Browns. 
> Hopefully Mahomes will be okay for the Bills
> game.  
>
> Nick Tharalson,
> Marion, IA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0464 seconds