Home Open Account Help 319 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP Locals Martinez - Last Opportunity for 3 Train View

Date: 01/24/21 14:51
UP Locals Martinez - Last Opportunity for 3 Train View
Author: SN711

The initial switch to PSR for the UP actually made it better for train watching of the UP Locals out of Martinez (Ozol), CA. I'm sure it was not necessarily a positive for the crews. For awhile PSR seemed to have the LRJ46 and LRJ88 locals running on a much more consistent time frame and were easier for me to catch in the mornings on the Bay Point (Nichols/McAvoy) end. The LRJ88 ran 3 days a week (M/W/F) on the BNSF out to Pittsburg to drop off and pick-up cars for the POSSCO steel plant. The LRJ46 was the Pittsburg Switcher that ran 5 days a week on the MOCOCO out to serve the former SP customers around Pittsburg.  On some days it was possible to see both trains and they would ocassionally meet at Nichols. That all came to an end on 05/29/2020, although I did not know it at the time. The next level of PSR took over and the two locals were combined into the LRJ48 that now does both jobs, ending the possibility of catching both trains at the same time.

Here are a few photos leading up to the last run of both locals on 05/29/2020.

Photo #1)  05/18/2020 0907 hours - the UP LRJ46 rolls east on the MOCOCO (Tracy Sub - UP) under a picturesque cloudy sky.

Photo #2) 05/22/2020 0850 hours - Not quite, but close. A westbound BNSF Oakland bound stack train hits the fly-over while the LRJ46 is still in the distance. 

Photo #3) 05/29/2020 0849 hours - The UP LRJ88 returns westbound on the BNSF at Nichols, heading toward Port Chicago, where it will reverse down the MOCOCO line to serve General Chemical at Nichols on the UP. This would be my last shot of a LRJ88.

Photo #4) 05/29/2020 0909 hours - The UP LRJ88 backs down the MOCOCO into the Nichols siding and into the General Chemical plant.

Photo #5) 05/29/2020 0919 hours - The only and my last opportunity to catch three trains in the same view.  Left to right: Westbound Amtrak San Joaquin #711 approaches Port Chicago on the BNSF, UP LRJ46 clears Port Chicago southbound on the MOCOCO, UP LRJ88 in the siding at Nichols. All three trains share the same track west of Port Chicago.

Photo #6) Last view of the LRJ46 passing the LRJ88.

I had no idea this was THE last day, but for some reason I stayed longer to catch all three trains in the same frame. I was almost late for work, but it was worth it.

Gary  

Date: 01/24/21 14:52
Re: UP Locals Martinez - Last Opportunity for 3 Train View

Thanks for looking.

Gary

Date: 01/24/21 16:32
Author: bobk

Great series!

Date: 01/24/21 17:37
Author: SPB

Interesting set of photos and description of business out on the Mococo line.  Nice to see.  

Gerry

Date: 01/24/21 17:52
Author: phthithu

Very cool post SN711. I recall a post from a couple years ago where you caught the two locals on in the same shot one of them going to that place in Baypoint. Both were using a patch SSW unit. As to catching PSR=induced last runs of locals, I was in South San Francisco on a Monday back in I guess 2019 waiting for the Broadway to go on duty and they never showed up. Turns out the Broadway had been abolished after the last run on the previous Friday. So my timing not as good as yours.  

Date: 01/24/21 18:23

Yes, I got lucky that one time catching the two locals on the parallel lines going in opposite directions once. That was a lot of luck. I saw them pass each other many times but usually toward Port Chicago or east of McAvoy, where there is no easy access. Even catching one of these locals with a BNSF or Amtrak train was very difficult. I managed to do it a couple times in the last six months. Those photos will be for another day.

Gary

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/24/21 19:07
Author: SCKP187

Nice set of shots--nice bunch of trains and scenery
Brian Stevens

Date: 01/25/21 00:02
Author: coach

I've never seen the Moccoco Line so busy!

Date: 01/25/21 09:12
Author: AlcoRSD15

Great stuff Gary!   Also the locals used to be seen leaving Ozol between 8 and 9 am, now it seems the LRJ48 departs Ozol around 7 am. (Oof, I am not a morning person) - Eric B.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0642 seconds