Home Open Account Help 320 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Winter storm watch in effect for the Sierra and cascade ranges

Date: 01/24/21 13:54
Winter storm watch in effect for the Sierra and cascade ranges
Author: czuleget

Winter storm watch in effect for the Sierra and cascade ranges.
In a footnote to copy 19’s post on Thursday about winter storms arriving to California here is the latest storm warnings for the western sierra Nevada Sacramento Valley. Snow level down to 1000 feet of snow accumulation’s by Friday of 6 feet over 7000 feet. From the National Weather Service office. Further south there’s a winter storm warning for the coastal range of Southern California as well as the Tehachapi mountains and I would assume San Bernardino Mountains as well. https://forecast.weather.gov/wwamap/wwatxtget.php?cwa=mtr&wwa=winter%20storm%20watch

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/21 13:56 by czuleget.

Date: 01/24/21 14:35
Re: Winter storm watch in effect for the Sierra and cascade range
Author: icancmp193

The NOAA forecast for greater Crescent Mills (BNSF Gateway Sub) got backed off to a Tuesday-Wednesday 10-1/2 to 18-1/2 inches. It previously projected a high of 24 inches.
We'll see what happens! I don't think the BNSF rotary is in Westwod anymore, so no need to speculate about that :-)

TJY

Date: 01/24/21 14:46
Author: MSE

Here is the forecast for rainfall amounts and the water content of the snow. Note that more than ten inches is forecast in the Sierra this week (till next Sunday). This will be a major dent into the drought. 

If you decide you want to snap photos of rain or snow + trains, be cautious. This is a major storm situation. If the Pineapple Express fully sets up, these amounts may be slightly conservative. 

Date: 01/24/21 20:27
Author: Mr-Beechcroft

Finally.

Adam in dry Norcal

Date: 01/25/21 08:47
Author: icancmp193

I love how NOAA changes their mind about twice a day. My latest Crescent Mills forecast has 33" on the high end for Tuesday night-Wednesday. Haven't seen that much snow since I was much younger!

TJY

Date: 01/25/21 10:37
Author: TCnR

Agree, there's some pretty wild forecast snow amounts. The last storm didn't meet the forecast, which is a hallmark of La Nina winters.

Heard an explanation somewhere about how thye make the precip estimates, something about one probablity to meet the lower estimate and another probablility to meet the higher estimate. The point was they were considering changing it for some reason. In the mean time the media picks up the high estimates and makes their headlines. Then everybody heads for the store and expects to hunker in place and wait it out.

Date: 01/25/21 11:41
Author: PHall

icancmp193 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I love how NOAA changes their mind about twice a
> day. My latest Crescent Mills forecast has 33" on
> the high end for Tuesday night-Wednesday. Haven't
> seen that much snow since I was much younger!
>
> TJY

NOAA changes their mind because Mother Nature keeps changing her mind.
She is one fickle lady.

Date: 01/25/21 18:29
Author: TCnR

That and the phrase ' follow the science ' can justify almost anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/21 20:59 by TCnR.

Date: 01/25/21 18:49
Author: Graybeard1942

Here is a traffic cam link that will give a good indication of snow levels between Black Butte and Klamath Falls on the Union Pacic Black Butte Sub. The cam is at Grass Lake, elevation 5,100 feet.  Hwy 97 parallels the main line in that area.  The immediate area may get more than two feet of snow with the upcomiing winter storm.

https://cwwp2.dot.ca.gov/vm/loc/d2/grasslake.htm

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0534 seconds