Home Open Account Help 332 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Catching UP downtown in the early morning

Date: 02/12/21 21:50
Catching UP downtown in the early morning
Author: Roadrailer

After dropping off my daughter at school before dawn I decided to try my hand at intercepting either locals heading out from Kennewick to Richland (WA). 
following the UP Kalan lead towards downtown Kennewick I spotted headlights under the Hwy 395 overpass. 
I made my way through the neighborhood to towards the tracks to watch the Union Pacific reversing towards the BNSF siding, soon to pass the former NP depot. (1, video)
2) Backing down an S-curve through the scrap yard. The BNSF Yakima Sub can be seen in the background. 
3) A little bit of side-street running prior to crossing Hwy 397. 

three more...

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 02/12/21 21:55
Re: Catching UP downtown in the early morning

4) Once across the highway, the have to negotiate another curve trough the Lampson yard prior to reaching their customer, Ash Grove.
5) Here the LID52 crew has to shove some empties clear, then spot the loads. 
6) Trying to find some angle to shoot them in the confines of the back alleys. 

two more...

Date: 02/12/21 22:00

7) Last one as they completed their work. By chance I heard the BNSF Byron Turn passing by on their way towards Richland, and off I went to catch them, but alas I had to get to a meeting. 

8) A few days later I happened to be passing through chasing down a BNSF manifest when the UP finished collecting the cars the delivered above. I tried my best to get ahead of them for a shot as they came up out of the industrial trackage towards the mainline. 

Thanks for looking, 
Richard in Richland

Date: 02/12/21 22:14
Author: Ritzville

Thanks for a very interesting photo and narrative essay of the industrial Keenewick area. Nice to see so much industrial rail activity.

Larry

Date: 02/13/21 08:14
Author: FiveChime

Unique photos from an area we rarely see coverage of on TO.  Thanks for posting.

Regards, Jim Evans

Date: 02/13/21 11:37
Author: rev66vette

Really enjoyed this post, industrial switching is so often forgotten in todays world of PSR. Thanks for sharing.

Date: 02/13/21 12:45
Author: krm152

Very nice series.  You covered a part of railroading that is under photographed.
Thanks for the interesting posting.
ALLEN

Date: 02/14/21 07:11
Author: SP8595

Great series!

Date: 02/16/21 16:29
Author: jmbreitigan

Very nice. Looks like someone  to imitate a P 38 in your fourth photo.
John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0477 seconds