Home Open Account Help 308 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > The Night Grind, and the Bottom of the World...

Date: 02/15/21 00:09
The Night Grind, and the Bottom of the World...
Author: ats90mph

The other night I had a sudden hit of wanderlust, and decided to catch Amtrak Train 2, the Sunset Limited in San Timoteo Canyon between Ordway and Hinda California. As I was pacing, there were several pieces of hyrail MOW equipment on the adjacent main track, and didn’t think much of it. Then I saw something way more interesting than Amtrak. A Loram Railgrinder was actively working on Main 2. So, I abandoned my Amtrak chase for the moment, and got some footage of the rail grinder…

1. Near El Casco, CA a four unit Loram RG400 grinds eastbound…

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/21 00:27 by ats90mph.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 02/15/21 00:28
Re: The Night Grind, and the Bottom of the World...

2. The crew stops and starts grinding at an isolated joint…

Date: 02/15/21 00:30

After abandoning the rail grinder I headed to a spot that I had always wanted to catch Amtrak. The crossing of Salt Creek between Salton and Bertram, near the abandoned Eagle Mountain Railroad junction at Ferrum. This location is special. At 205 feet below sea level, it is the lowest spot on any open-air rail line in the world. Badwater, the lowest spot in the western hemisphere is only 77 feet lower…

1. It's all up from here, Amtrak 2 curves across Salt Creek. This would be the last train east for five days, as Sundays train would be annulled due to severe winter weather. Additionally it seemed to take forever for the intermediate signal to drop after the train entered the block…

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/21 00:31 by ats90mph.

Date: 02/15/21 00:32

2. Just before Amtrak would appear on the horizon, I sapped this photo facing west. The Salton Sea is on the left, with Indio and Palm Springs in the background. You can clearly see the color of light pollution change with the use of LED lighting.  The more familiar orange Sodium Vapor glow can be seen in the upper left…

3. Facing Bertram and Niland as Amtrak heads off toward Yuma, with my trusty 4Runner in the foreground. All of the videos and photos have been taken with my new three lens iPhone 12 Pro. Honestly it has a great camera, and allows for 20 second exposures. However the “lens flare” is quite obnoxious with bright light sources…

Date: 11/24/21 21:53
Author: gonx

Cool video.

Real neat to that working at night.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1931 seconds