Home Open Account Help 327 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Flanger & Searchlights with Sprinkles!

Date: 02/20/21 18:10
Flanger & Searchlights with Sprinkles!
Author: BoilingMan

I try to keep the lens dry, but sometimes "dry" and "Donner" just aren't in the same universe.  "Blowing Mist Blizzard" would best describe the conditions yesterday.
Anyway...
I've been making an effort to get some last shots of the signal bridge at Norden.  The bridge's replacements already stand ominously just outside the shed's portal.  This appears to be the UPRR preferred placement- Sheds 10 and 47 are already set up this way.  Come Summer, Norden will be a match. 
And Searchlights will be extinct on Donner.
SR

Date: 02/20/21 18:58
Re: Flanger & Searchlights with Sprinkles!
Author: DynamicBrake

Whoever designed those Darth Vader signals ought to be (you complete the sentence)...........
Nice shots BTW SR, thanks for sharing.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 02/20/21 19:12
Author: Evan_Werkema

DynamicBrake Wrote:

> Whoever designed those Darth Vader signals ought to be (you complete the sentence)...........

I still haven't forgiven searchlights for all the semaphores they killed in years past.  They're getting their comeuppance now! 

Besides, when improving technology eventually makes lineside signals obsolete, you just know folks will be fervently pursuing the last of those "classic," "timeless," "venerable" Darth Vaders...

Date: 02/20/21 19:13
Author: PHall

DynamicBrake Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Whoever designed those Darth Vader signals ought
> to be (you complete the sentence)...........
> Nice shots BTW SR, thanks for sharing.
>
> Kent in CArmel Valley

But those "Darth Vader" snow/sun shields have been around for decades. Nobody was complaining about them when you saw them on the Rio Grande.
They were just part of the scenery.

Date: 02/21/21 08:07
Author: dan

I liked the old style UP snowshields

Date: 02/21/21 09:19
Author: coach

The UP and DRGW Vader signals are larger, more robust.  These new things are skinny, wimpy and poorly made--tilting heads, offset welds, etc.  Very tinker-toy.  They make the old US&S signals look like gold.

Date: 02/21/21 09:57
Author: texchief1

Nice shots!

RC Lundgren
Elgin, TX

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0636 seconds