Home Open Account Help 325 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Loss of a fine railroader and friend

Date: 02/27/21 05:25
Loss of a fine railroader and friend
Author: dcfbalcoS1

Donald Detwiler of Pratt, Ks passed away Feb 25th at the age of 92. He went to work for the Rock Island in 1948 and and during his time as a fireman he fired steam engines on three occassions for his father, Homer Detwiler. He had four uncles ( Robert, Frank, Bernard and Sam ) who also worked for the Rock Island ( fired for Bernard once ). His brother John Detwiler also worked as an engineer for the Rock Island and Southern Pacific. Donald made engineer in 1964-65, continued on with the Southern Pacific, DRGW and then Union Pacific. He taught the Operation Lifesaver for many years and retired from that. We will miss our very good friend.  

Date: 02/27/21 05:43
Re: Loss of a fine railroader and friend
Author: atsfer

I knew Don through operation lifesaver which he was a mentor for me when I got started in the program.  He was in OL for over 20 or 30  years and saved uncounted lives with his dedication to that cause.  He was a good and decent man and I will miss him, his wife Goldie was involved in OL as well.  Don had a personal tragedy that spurred him to try and prevent needless deaths at RR crossings.   

Date: 02/27/21 07:49
Author: SR2

May Engr. Detwiler rest in peace and may eternal light (and green signals) shine upon him.
SR2

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/21 07:49 by SR2.

Date: 02/27/21 09:45
Author: Texican65

I’m sorry that you lost your friend. Thanks for telling us a little bit about him, may he Rest In Peace.

And just what is Operation Lifesaver?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/27/21 11:42
Author: SCspotter

Thanks for telling us about your friend. He seems like a very fine gentleman. May he rest in peace.

Date: 02/27/21 12:39
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

I was deeply involved with OL with the SP starting in 1989. I attended an OL conference in Houston and met Don and Goldie. We had dinner together and learned alot about the Rock Island and OL from him. Sorry to hear of his passing he had a long life may he rest in peace.

Posted from Android

Date: 02/27/21 12:47
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

Texican65 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I’m sorry that you lost your friend. Thanks for
> telling us a little bit about him, may he Rest In
> Peace.
>
> And just what is Operation Lifesaver?
>
> Posted from iPhone

Operation Lifesaver is a program that educates people from elementary school children professional drivers Law enforcement and the motoring public about being safe around railroad crossings. g@@gle Operation Lifesaver for more comprehensive information.

Posted from Android

Date: 02/27/21 19:36
Author: SD45

Don was a good helpful person.  He was one of my mentors when I first got started in Operation Lifesaver, that was 20 years ago.
He was UP all the way.
sd-45

Date: 02/27/21 21:08
Author: rrman6

I was shocked when I opened Harold's posting here and then read the various responses.  All these speak highly of One Great Guy!  

Although Don and I were unable to relate as much as we'd liked in discussing the bygone days of the Rock Island Lines and its operations, we did relish the times we had.  My grandmother's maiden name on my mothers side was Detwiler in the Guthrie, OK area in the early years.  Several years ago Don had visited with my mother trying to seek a geneaologic relationship, but they were unsuccesful in reaching that link.  Whether we were related or not, we claimed each other as if we were and if that wasn't a connection, Rock Island railroading was.  

Don was not only active with the railroad and Operation Lifesaver, but he was a longtime member of the Rock Island Technical Society and followed its historical and modeling media.  When the UP8444 once again traveled the Golden State Route in 2006, Don boarded the locomotive at Hutchinson, KS to his hometown of Pratt,KS.  The journey continued the next morning over the "Sampson of the Cimarron" bridge and into Liberal, KS.  At a watering stop at Meade, KS, Don retreated from the locomotive cab's seat behind the fireman and walked back to board and accompany Goldie on the ride to Liberal.  I know this trek was very memorable of his firing days behind the RI 5100's (ALCO 4-8-4's) and must have been a most memorable ride for him.

Don was a helpful and friendly man of God and I know he will "Rest High On That Mountain" and has seen "Green Board's" all the way on the "Railway to Heaven".  May he Rest in Peace and meanhile, my prayers go forth with Goldie and their entire family for their loss of a great husband, father, and grandfather.  You are so missed Don!  🙏

Carl Fankhauser

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/21 05:49 by rrman6.

Date: 02/28/21 11:59
Author: Hookdragkick

Sounds like he lived a full and storied life. Leave the Reverser forward, oldhead. RIP 🙏

Posted from Android

Date: 02/28/21 23:52
Author: Drknow

Even though I didn’t know him: That man is an Old Head. Respect and RIP.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0941 seconds