Home Open Account Help 279 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Help needed identifying location of 40's little passenger train..

Date: 03/03/21 09:16
Help needed identifying location of 40's little passenger train..
Author: rgzfan

Can anyone identify the location? Here is all I know about it:

I believe this amusement park was on the south side of an east-west road somewhere near Milwaukee, WI. The road has four lanes with a median. The bus which passes in the background seems to be owned by Badger Coaches. The sign says "Weber Beer", which was brewed in Waukesha, WI. 

I believe the little girl in purple is named Pamela Hunn, and that this is her birthday celebration. Here is a likely yearbook picture: http://www.e-yearbook.com/yearbooks/University_School_Milwaukee_Trident_Yearbook/1963/Page_79.html This could plausibly be her: "Pamela Hunn James was born on September 26, 1945. She died on October 5, 2010 at 65 years old." Does it look like September in the film? Perhaps so. If that is the case, this may have been filmed on 9/26/49. That was a Monday. 

​Action is intentionally slowed down to facilitate careful examination of subject and background -- particularly the automobiles on the road and in the parking lot. A Flxible Clipper can be seen passing at 2:20.

This is what Kodachrome was for -- exactly this.

Film purchased on ebay for a couple dollars. Telecine by CinePost (www.posthouse.com).

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/21 15:54 by rgzfan.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 03/03/21 11:38
Re: Help needed identifying location of 40's little passenger tra
Author: krm152

Super great movie footage.  Thanks for the posting.
My wife and I both think the little girl in the purple outfit is about five years old.
We have a daughter and two granddaughters so our thoughts are not without some knowledge.
Given everyone's outfits, September seems to be a reasonable seasonal time for the photo.
I highly suspect the photo was taken the weekend before September 26, 1950, a Tuesday.
Kiddie ride parks were usually not open on weekdays during the school season.
Hope my thoughts have been helpful.
ALLEN

Date: 03/03/21 12:20
Author: robj

https://journaltimes.com/news/local/remembering-kiddieland-amusement-park-was-a-popular-attraction-in-the-1950s-and-1960s/article_b722bcf4-77ac-5607-920a-633ba64d4ae1.html

Racine Kiddieland.

Here is  a video which shows the train in the weeds as your video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXvwEDVC8NQ&fbclid=IwAR00bUnQ2YDDH9T2S3SK_iCnqxsTboxNep-JcfEjm_WbCq17Yn6tUms8aQA

Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/21 12:33 by robj.

Date: 03/03/21 15:46

I don't think that's quite it. The locomotive in my film doesn't match the locomotive in the Horick's Kiddieland video. Also, the road in front of Horicks was and still is two lanes (although it's an unused alignment now) and it's curved. So while I'd say Horick's is similar, it's not quite a match. 

:-(

robj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> https://journaltimes.com/news/local/remembering-ki
> ddieland-amusement-park-was-a-popular-attraction-i
> n-the-1950s-and-1960s/article_b722bcf4-77ac-5607-9
> 20a-633ba64d4ae1.html
>
>
> Racine Kiddieland.
>
> Here is  a video which shows the train in the
> weeds as your video.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXvwEDVC8NQ&fbclid
> =IwAR00bUnQ2YDDH9T2S3SK_iCnqxsTboxNep-JcfEjm_WbCq1
> 7Yn6tUms8aQA
>
> Bob

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/21 18:20 by rgzfan.

Date: 03/03/21 15:47
Author: 2-10-2

"This is what Kodachrome was for -- exactly this."
This is what Talking Heads was for - exactly this.
Very nice bit of film. And a very nice sountrack.

Date: 03/03/21 15:52

Thanks!

krm152 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Super great movie footage.  Thanks for the
> posting.
> My wife and I both think the little girl in the
> purple outfit is about five years old.
> We have a daughter and two granddaughters so our
> thoughts are not without some knowledge.
> Given everyone's outfits, September seems to be a
> reasonable seasonal time for the photo.
> I highly suspect the photo was taken the weekend
> before September 26, 1950, a Tuesday.
> Kiddie ride parks were usually not open on
> weekdays during the school season.
> Hope my thoughts have been helpful.
> ALLEN
>  

Date: 03/03/21 21:01
Author: BRAtkinson

I can still recall Kiddieland in suburban Milwaukee (Wauwatosa) on Highway 100 at North Ave, if memory serves.  I'm pretty sure that even in the 1950s, Highway 100 (now Mayfair Rd) was 4 lanes in each direction with a grassy median down the middle.  As an early boomer, I was in my major growth years in the 1950s and we'd be in the family car passing by maybe 2-3 times per year on the way to see family friends.  I was told many times in the late '50s by my big brother and sister that it was their job to distract me so I wouldn't see it.  If I did, apparently I'd have a major "I WANNA GO THERE NOW" screaming/crying fit and there'd be no peace and quiet in the car for 5 minutes or more as we always kept going.  I'd guess the last time I was there as about 1953-54 when I was about 6. I don't recall any 16" guage train there, though.  I don't recall what I had for breakfast today, either, these days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/21 21:04 by BRAtkinson.

Date: 03/03/21 21:21
Author: 567Chant

I really enjoyed the exubearance.

At 02:30 - the Nash AirFlyte passing in the near background is frosting on the cake.

...Lorenzo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/21 21:30 by 567Chant.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0432 seconds