Home Open Account Help 205 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Sad day for railroad news preservation

Date: 03/05/21 14:35
Sad day for railroad news preservation
Author: m7rail

The new Trains website is missing thousands of old News Wire stories. They still claim their coverage goes back to 2006 as before, but that's because they've randomly kept a few stories from each of the early years. For a publication that's done a good job making its print archive available this is a disgrace. They could have included this archive with the new print archive on their website. They have customers willing to pay to read their old content. Where was the business sense?

I've emailed Trains and didn't get a straight answer from Steve Sweeney on whether the missing stories were preserved or not so I fear the worst.
Editor Jim Wrinn's email is jwrinn@kalmbach.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/21 21:29 by m7rail.

Date: 03/05/21 15:50
Re: Sad day for railroad news preservation
Author: masterphots

Hell,  I'm still trying to get my Feb/March issues of the e-magazine.  I re-upped in January and between Trains and Zinio (don't get me started about the latter) I've now received one issue,  April.   Sounds like trouble in Waukesha these days.

Date: 03/05/21 22:20
Author: Press25

I had a missing edition in Zinio.  They directed me as follows:

> go into my profile
> preferences
> library and storage
> sync your library 

That forces the synchronization.  Fixed it for me. 

Hope that helps!

Date: 03/06/21 04:09
Author: funnelfan

Jim Wrinn just announced he has been diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer...which is tough to beat. I pray for the best outcome possible. I'm sure that is proving to be a distraction at the moment.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 03/06/21 04:17
Author: dcfbalcoS1

I dropped my Trains subscription over a year ago because it no longer had news and articles about 'railroading' in it. More like a little kids book about tea kettle toy trains. Many reasons for this change, always is. The crap reason of people not reading hard copy won't work. Electronic version would be okay IF the magazine was any good. I'm sure they have a hard time finding very many if any railroad employees these days that can write anything worth while. Some can't even spell.

Date: 03/06/21 05:07
Author: PlyWoody

I have been a subscriber to the paper version and had been able to read the news wire as a subscriber.  Is Trains now cutting my free (paid for with subscroption) access to the news?  I guess I will read the news on the RailPace web site or on Railfan Magazine site.  Railway Age has a newswire also.  I see it as taking things away from their old base of viewers and I'm not happy. So much for the electronic media, it could all be destroyed on with one thrown switch. 

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/21 05:35 by PlyWoody.

Date: 03/06/21 06:27
Author: 1-tnut

I thought the same thing about not being able to read news wire. I logged in to my account and was able to read the articles. Not real sure if I like your new format for news wire articles though.

Date: 03/06/21 11:15
Author: raytc1944

As  a long time suscriber (1957) I'm not very happy with the changes.  I read "Railway Age" and I'll have to check out "Railfan & Railroad" and "Railpace too.

Date: 03/06/21 13:04
Author: mundo

I switched to Railroad/Raifan.  So far happy.   Ed

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0501 seconds