Home Open Account Help 231 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Spotlighting a small-town cross-buck?

Date: 03/29/21 03:23
Spotlighting a small-town cross-buck?
Author: santafe199

You’ve no doubt heard about the town that was so small, the population was posted on both sides of the sign as you drive through? Well……… Niles, Kansas down in the southeast corner of Ottawa County is so small there is no such sign. Niles is so small, Wikipedia mentions no population, gives a small hiccup and moves right on to how its post office closed in 1974. In fact Niles is SO small: if you momentarily forget your business, one of the other 2 people in town can remind you what you’re doing…

1. Looking west at the Arrowhead Rd crossing, about 3 hundred yards from Greater Downtown Niles, KS.

2. KYLE crossbuck at the same crossing in “suburban” Niles, KS. The faint spotlighting is from a KYLE train that is stopped for some unknown reason…

3. I would post another shot of the main drag through Metropolitan Niles, KS… but you’ve pretty well seen it all… Aw shucks, how about another feeble lightning shot while the train is still stopped?
(3 photos taken in the vicinity of 8 PM on March 26, 2021)

Thanks for looking quick
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 03/29/21 08:47
Re: Spotlighting a small-town cross-buck?
Author: ExStarlightHog

I hope that isn't a main line.  Even lights and gates barely get the attention of a lot of drivers staring down at their phones. 

Date: 03/29/21 09:44
Author: Ritzville

Like the cross-buck shots with the stormy sky. Nice catch of a bit of lightning in your last shot!

Larry

Date: 03/29/21 10:29
Author: santafe199

ExStarlightHog Wrote: > ...  I hope that isn't a main line ...

Not even close! This the ex-UP branch from Solomon, KS on the KP running NW up to Beloit, KS and a connection with the Mop in those days of yore. Now it'a ALL KYLE @ 10 MPH, or less. That which hasn't been torn out, that is. Easy railfan pickin's if you have lots of patience... ;^)

Lance/199

Date: 04/01/21 06:10
Author: jmbreitigan

I like the look of photo #2 .
John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0643 seconds