Home Open Account Help 224 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Who took over the Santa Fe Ottawa-Tulsa?

Date: 03/30/21 18:15
Who took over the Santa Fe Ottawa-Tulsa?
Author: twropr

Apparently BNSF thought the line was redundant.  Is the line still intact?
Thanks!
Andy

Date: 03/30/21 19:35
Re: Who took over the Santa Fe Ottawa-Tulsa?
Author: santafe199

This old, former ATSF, ABS equipped 75 MPH passenger main (right up to Amtrak day #1!) has been torn out from just north of K-68 highway in Ottawa, KS down to just south of Hawaii Rd in Humboldt, KS. Watco short line RR SKOL operates the rest of the trackage from Humboldt down through Chanute en route to the HQ town of Cherryvale. Also the trackage south down to Tulsa, OK, including the offshoot branch from Cherryvale down to Coffeyville, KS. Top train speed is now 25 MPH down to Tulsa, and the same for the ex-ATSF line across southern KS over Grand Summit. Not sure about the ex-SLSF leg between Cherrvale & Fredonia, but I think it's also 25. And I've just heard through the grapevine that welded rail is in SKOL's future from Cherryvale south this year...

Lance/199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/21 19:49 by santafe199.

Date: 03/30/21 20:58
Author: dan

not watco?  was it watco/

Date: 03/31/21 02:59

dan Wrote: > ...  not watco?  was it watco/ ...

Can anyone translate gibberish to English?

Date: 03/31/21 05:21
Author: Cumbres

Originally it was only Iola to Ottawa that was abandoned.  The line was shortened later.

Date: 03/31/21 19:14
Author: MP4093

Ottawa to Tulsa has been severed for decades, pulled up before BNSF.

Date: 04/01/21 01:02
Author: Evan_Werkema

twropr Wrote:

> Apparently BNSF thought the line was redundant. 
> Is the line still intact?

Santa Fe sold the Ottawa - Iola portion to a paper railroad owned by A&K Railway Materials in May 1990.  A&K bought the track to rip it up and they soon did.  The Iola to Tulsa and Coffeyville portions went to SKOL (Watco) in December 1990. 

Date: 04/01/21 04:30
Author: BHale1990

Did I hear welded rail south of Cherryvale??? How far south are we talking, like all the way to Tulsa?

Posted from Android

Date: 04/01/21 15:53

BHale1990 Wrote: > ...  Did I hear welded rail south of Cherryvale???

No, you read it! :^) The phone text I received says 37.4 miles S of Cherryvale to S of Caney. Keep in mind: Everything associated with a given RR plan of action is highly subject to change for any number of reasons...

Lance/199

Date: 04/02/21 02:49
Author: BHale1990

Please excuse the gaffe, it's a product of my disbelief.I never thought I'd see the day, but it's great to finally see it happening. Wonder if they're going to relay the rest of it to Tulsa. Thanks for the info !

Posted from Android

Date: 04/04/21 12:13

BHale1990 Wrote: > ...  Please excuse the gaffe ...

Nahhh... it wasn't a gaffe! I was just having some fun. That's what the little smiley face was for. Truth be told, I've got the same plesantly surprised reaction. It's really cool to see the "little guy" short line make physical plant improvements such as welded rail. Especially when the territory involved once belonged to my favorite "fallen flag" RR, the Santa Fe... :^) (#2)

Lance/199

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0363 seconds