Home Open Account Help 253 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Santa Fe cantilever signal in Glendora, CA disposition...

Date: 04/05/21 07:06
Santa Fe cantilever signal in Glendora, CA disposition...
Author: PasadenaSub

As a followup to my post here on Saturday:

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,5228666

I received an Email from a friend (and fellow TO member) yesterday letting me know the cantilever signal signal bridge at Pasadena Avenue in Glendora was indeed disassembled and transported with the intent of restoring it for ultimate placement at the historic San Dimas, CA depot (about 5 miles away).  The work took place on March 30, 2021. He also included this letter with photos from Paul LaCiura, a Civil engineer for Parsons - who also presented the idea of saving the signal to the city of San Dimas and worked to make it happen.  There wasn't a plan for the city of Glendora to keep the signal, and they will instead have a piece of original Santa Fe rails (with possibly ties) to display at their museum on Glendora Avenue just north of Bennett Ave.

Here's Paul's letter below, which he sent to members of the PRS (Pacific Railroad Society) - who have their headquarters in the San Dimas depot (Rhodes Park).  Also some photos he included of the move.

I will pass on any information as I receive it on where to send donations for the restoration of this historic signal bridge, which guarded the Santa Fe's San Bernardino-Los Angeles historic passenger main (LA Second District) for over 100 years. 

Rich

Friends,

Last Tuesday KPJV (contractor for the Gold Line Extension) and subcontractors Advantage Co. and Bragg Crane Service successfully salvaged and transported the Historic Cantilever Signal from the Pasadena Avenue crossing in Glendora to the signal restoration site at the Sycamore Canyon Equestrian Center in San Dimas.  The Historic Cantilever is finally home in the City of San Dimas and staged for the a timely restoration and installation at Rhodes Park.

I am in the process of establishing an account with the City of San Dimas Historical Society to be able to accept donations to help pay for this salvage, move, restoration and installation at Rhodes Park.  The assistant City Manager Brad McKinney is helping in this regard. Once we have a means of accepting donations I would like to approach your PRS membership in the event that anyone would like to donate to this worthy cause.  This first phase of work is about $18,000.  The final installation expenses should be in this ballpark as well.

I would also like to ask for assistance in restoring the signal.  I am almost finished with the engineering drawings for Rhodes Park and for the City of Glendora at their Historical Museum.  Most will be just good old elbow grease sanding the paint down and painting the signal.  It is in remarkably good condition and the modifications/upgrades needed are less than I had envisioned.

This is how the move went:  Once mobilized the team secured the signal head, mast and equipment case for separation.  The signal, mast and equipment case was set on the transport trailer and prepared for tie down.  The cantilever section was separated and staged for placement on the trailer.

Secured for transport, the 100+ year old signal was on its the way to the restoration site in San Dimas.  The Historic Cantilever Signal was staged and secured at the restoration site with significant hands on help.  A big thanks to KPJV and the City of San Dimas for making this first step toward restoration and of the signal and installation at Rhodes Park in San Dimas a successful endeavor!

Please respond with suggestions on stimulating donations and requesting assistance with restoring this work of engineering art!

Thank you very much,

Paul

Paul LaCiura, PE  *
Consulting Civil EngineerLaCiura Consultants

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/21 07:10 by PasadenaSub.

Date: 04/05/21 07:12
Re: Santa Fe cantilever signal in Glendora, CA disposition...
Author: PasadenaSub

And two more pics from Paul.

Rich

Date: 04/05/21 07:45
Author: SantaFeRuss

Great going. Preserving a part of the history of the old Santa Fe second district of the Los Angeles division, in later years known as the Pasadena Subdivision.My hometown railroad (Pasadena). PasadenaSub thanks for sharing.

SantaFeRuss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/21 09:14 by SantaFeRuss.

Date: 04/05/21 12:44
Author: Ivar

Awe man, they beat me to it! I was just about to head out there with my crescent wrench and pick-up truck to take the somebi*** down myself, it was taking so long. I’d be willing to lay down a Jackson towards it’s preservation, when they get that all figured out.

Ivar the Engine Drivar

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0631 seconds