Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > SD70MACs Still Kicking on the BNSF

Date: 04/08/21 19:25
SD70MACs Still Kicking on the BNSF
Author: Jadon

Earlier this week (4/6/21) I started seeing stuff about a coal train coming into Texas from Oklahoma with two Ex-BN Executive Macs leading the way. Not knowing if this would ever occur again I made it a point to get out and shoot what I could of it. Due to work and the train having nearly no opposing traffic, my chase was shorter than I had wanted but it was great to see none the less.
My first spot was in Ponder, Tx, this is always an easy head-on shot and it was the furthest north I could get before I would be behind the train, I chased it south from Ponder towards Alliance yard making a few stops inbetween thanks to the train's slow speed. 
1&2) Passing through the north end of Ponder Siding
3) Just north of Justin, Tx at Strader Rd

Date: 04/08/21 19:29
Re: SD70MACs Still Kicking on the BNSF
Author: Jadon

1) A going away shot of the power at Strader, it occured to me after the chase that I never stuck around for the DPU power so I don't have photos of those. The DPU motors were two more SD70MAC's, one in the cream and green while the other one was painted in BNSF Orange
2) Crossing one of the last bridges in the area still retaining Santa Fe markings. This is immediately north of Justin, Tx along FM156
3) My final spot would be just north of Alliance Yard as the train neared its crew change, I opted to include my chace companion in with this one. It is about to pass under SH114.

All in all it was a great short chase and I'm glad to have seen the train in the ever progressing world of GE's leading most mainline trains

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/21 19:30 by Jadon.

Date: 04/08/21 19:51
Author: krm152

Thanks for posting your well composed and super nice series.
The SD70MAC's certainly look good.
ALLEN

Date: 04/08/21 20:06
Author: GP30Frank

I remember going on a vacation years ago, and the SDMac's were still new coming out of Alliance NE , going east on Hwy 2.  They were very noisy, and had very  loud horns.

Date: 04/08/21 20:29
Author: Android

Uhh, I think the horns are rather SUPPOSED to be loud, right? 

Anyway,  on the trains that flip back and forth at Black Thunder Mine, we very seldom see any SD70MAC leading, when you do see them, they are usually in trail or DPU.  I've seen a paired Grinstein Green units in DPU service a few times lately.  One of them is the 9800.   I miss them as leaders, actually.   I've been operating trains for contract operators at PRB coal mines for 20 years now, and I remember what it was like when I first started, almost every BNSF coal train was powered by SD70MAC.   I hear that the oldest MAC70s are on the for-sale list now.    Have many gone from LUGO to SOLD?  

Date: 04/08/21 23:31
Author: pbouzide

I didn't like the Grinsteins at first, but they've really grown on me. Handsome scheme, I really like that shade of green, pairs well with the cream and the classy red accent is far from the usual dip job.

Date: 04/09/21 07:37
Author: SP8595

Excellent catch and shots, especially shot #5!

Date: 04/09/21 10:48
Author: brc600

oNE GREEN mac was the DPU on an eastbound through Pacific Jct, IA (NE Omaha) Thursday.

pbouzide Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I didn't like the Grinsteins at first, but they've
> really grown on me. Handsome scheme, I really like
> that shade of green, pairs well with the cream and
> the classy red accent is far from the usual dip
> job.

Date: 04/09/21 10:58
Author: ATSF5669

Great pics!  Thanks for posting them!
Jerry

Date: 04/09/21 13:48
Author: Texican65

That's awesome...and very rare! I'm surprised to see a MAC leading today...as I was under the belief that none of them were equipped with PTC. However, the leader looks like it in fact might actually have PTC, the little white plastic piece above the engineer and conductor seats on top of the cab. There's about 20 SD70MACe units that have PTC...but no MACs that I was aware....unless this one is a one off.

Expect to see more vintage power like this....as the BNSF is in DIRE need of locomotives right now...theyre scraping to-gether whatever they can to try and run a train.

Date: 04/12/21 10:44
Author: SD45X

Think a couple 9600s got PTC installed. Had that leader before and someone complained and it was traded out. Glad you got it with another. Been seeing quite a few lately and the 9508 was through this week. Significant as it is not DP qualified. Most those were parked.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1397 seconds