Home Open Account Help 388 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A Grain Train on the Former ATSF through Enterprise Kansas

Date: 04/08/21 21:41
A Grain Train on the Former ATSF through Enterprise Kansas
Author: tq-07fan

Right before this trip my ten year old Yaesau scanner got stuck on the L & N channel and stopped working so anything I've seen has been more or less by luck. Well I got lucky again this evening as I checked out the connection with the Kyle Railway and the Union Pacific at Solomon and then proceeded east to Abilene where a BNSF was crossing the Union Pacific. I discovered that the 1979 / 1980 Kansas State map actually show more railways for reference. 
1) I got stopped by the train twice but easily beat it to Enterprise where the Santa Fe line crossed the former Rock Island. The Rock Island line is now the Abilene and Smokey Valley Railroad. The diamond has been removed and there is a Rock Island shorty covered hopper at the end of the track. The track is in place on the other side and crossing marked Exempt.
2) I got stopped again at the first crossing on K 43 south of Enterprise bus was able to safely get ahead by the second as there was a steady grade out of Enterprise.
3) There was a barbed wire fence and other things to put in these pictures, but hay?

Date: 04/08/21 21:42
Re: A Grain Train on the Former ATSF through Enterprise Kansas
Author: tq-07fan

4) I'm not sure if I got this straightened out correctly. The BNSF is actually on a uphill grade but I am not sure if the K 43 was maybe leaning forward?
5) I chose the crossing on 1600 Ave for the next picture. The lead unit was pulling hard and it took 13 minutes from the previous picture to get here as the sun went down.
6) This train sounded good for all that smoke coming out.

Thank you for looking!

Jim

Date: 04/09/21 07:32
Author: SP8595

Neat series, really like that second shot!

Date: 04/09/21 14:09
Author: texchief1

Really nice shots!

RC Lundgren
Elgin, TX

Date: 04/11/21 05:03
Author: jmbreitigan

Nice series. Good to see you include the hay bale on your third photo. IMHO it made for a good photo.
John

Date: 04/11/21 06:03
Author: LocoPilot750

I ran on the Strong City sub once in a while when it was open from Neva to Abilene, usually off the Emporia Extra board in the early 1980's. That is a pretty good pull out of Enterprise. Last time I was up there was on a loaded grain train with RCE, which now of course would be DP.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.05 seconds