Home Open Account Help 342 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Yesterday in the San Luis Valley of Colorado

Date: 04/11/21 09:15
Yesterday in the San Luis Valley of Colorado
Author: ns2557

Yesterday, April 10 2021, we took a trip down into Colorado's San Luis Valley in and around the Alamosa/Monte Verde/South Fork area's. Got a few shots to share Here are a set of what we found down here.

Shot 1.  Along the San Luis & Rio Grande here in Alamosa we found this one sitting out in front of the station here, more or less.  SLRG 227 an ex AMT F40PH-2 now what they call a Road Slug. Last I was here, this one was parked over at the shop building.

Shot 2.   Here at the west end of the shops we found SDCX 89 the ex Mount Hood GP9 along with Iowa Pacific E8A 100, (Didn't see a number, but believe this is the unit number). Some of the cars from the Train that went east over La Veta Pass when that ran, are on the left.

Shot 3.   SLRG F7A 1100 ex GM&O 805A F3A. Saw this one many years ago in Pueblo along with 1 of the ex SLRG B39-8's which was in a D&H Style Paint scheme, which I believe was the Saratoga and North Creek RR in Upstate NY. Hadn't seen it in many years and thought it no longer was down here, but low and behold, here it sits.  Outside the East End of shops down here.

Not sure the status of the SLRG tho. With the Iowa Pacific and Ed Ellis in bankruptcy not much going on here in Alamosa. The 4 F units , 2 of the old Minnesota Zephyr ones along with 2 others are still on the grounds here also, west of the station. These 4 units were all that I saw. Not sure if any others are inside shop building or not. They are still getting service down here as there are quite a few cars spotted along the way west towards the SLC at Monte Vista. And we didn't get any shots of their operation. All closed/locked up for the weekend. Their units must have been in the small shop here in Monte Vista.

Have a few others to follow.   Ben

Date: 04/11/21 09:39
Re: Yesterday in the San Luis Valley of Colorado

After getting down into the Valley, we went west towards Del Norte and South Fork Colorado. We were looking for the old SP GE that has been over this way for what seems like decades. We found it, north of downtown South Fork on Colo Hwy 149. 

Shot 4.  SP B30-7 7863 still in SP Speed Lettering Paint. Got to be one of, if not the last remaining SP B30-7's around. Still looks good too.

Shot 5.   Here is what else is with the SP 7863. Looks like a GE 44T # 44, a GE Critter No.1, 3 various speeders, and 2 old wood passenger cars one what says it's an ex BA&P car the other an ex Detroit and Mackinac obs car 99.  (Yes I have shots of both these cars along with all the other items here. There was a sign in the door of the station that says they closed in 2016, so not sure the status of any of this down here)

Shot 6.  Last one. Went east over La Veta Pass on US160. This is the first time I have been down this way on this side of Alamosa in years. And years ago, a wildfire was started and damaged/destroyed alot of the woods at the top and down the east side of the pass. I was amazed at the damage that was caused. But we went to Walsenburg Co and had dinner at a place called Corines Mexican Food. It was decent and price was good too. Upon leaving we caught a NB BNSF Coal Empty. This was one of the trains off the Coronado Branch down in Eastern Arizona. BNSF SD70ACe 9109 was the leader but the rear most DPU was this ex BNSF SD70MAC still in it's delivered Grinstein Pnt/Executive Paint, 9790. Nice to see them still out and about.

That's all from our short day trip down this way. Thanks for stopping by. Ben

Date: 04/11/21 10:02
Author: tomstp

Thanks for the info and pictures.

Date: 04/11/21 10:50
Author: callum_out

The ex-SP  GE ran on the SL&RG for a period of time, sat and was finally returned to Del Norte some years ago. Was a shame that Stone
Container shut their plant in Del Norte, was always good for a one day a week local. 

Out

Date: 04/11/21 11:42

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The ex-SP  GE ran on the SL&RG for a period of
> time, sat and was finally returned to Del Norte
> some years ago. Was a shame that Stone
> Container shut their plant in Del Norte, was
> always good for a one day a week local. 
>
> Out

Trackage looked ok to just west of Del Norte, then it kinda went to hell, so to speak. I recall years ago this trackage out this way was used as car storgae for awhile. Not anymore tho.Ben

Date: 04/11/21 12:06
Author: lynnpowell

Caption for photo #5:   Us old GEs stick together!

Date: 04/11/21 12:12

lynnpowell Wrote:
> Caption for photo #5:   Us old GEs stick
> together!

That little critter behind the 44T has been around a long time. Ben

Date: 04/11/21 12:21

If memory serves me, the center cab came from American Crystal Sugar, but that was a while ago.

Out 

Date: 04/11/21 12:33

callum_out Wrote:
> If memory serves me, the center cab came from
> American Crystal Sugar, but that was a while ago.
>
> Out 

Rich, There is another GE 44T out along US160 east of town. Here are 2 shots of it. 1st one taken yesterday 2nd one taken back on July 1 2019. Is this the one you be thinking of perhaps?  Ben

Date: 04/11/21 14:13

Yup that's it, remembered it having some sugar connection, thanks for the shots.

Out 

Date: 04/11/21 16:06
Author: koloradokid

callum_out Wrote:
> Yup that's it, remembered it having some sugar
> connection, thanks for the shots.
>
> Out 

Also a former D&RGW unit IIRC.

Robert

Date: 04/12/21 06:52
Author: ATSF2324

Thanks for posting!   

Gus

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0765 seconds