Home Open Account Help 292 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Illinois travel 411, please

Date: 04/22/21 17:13
Illinois travel 411, please
Author: BobE

Folks, the nest few days, I'm doing something that, shall we say, isn't terribly bright.I'm on the loose for a few days, and some map and weather study says I-64 south, roughly a line from St Louis to Evansville, IN is where I want to be and especially where I'm starting.

It's really not so much a "sit trackside and record the parade" kind of trip.

More like, "smash and grab at a number of sites" kind of trip.While I can remember some things I did a long time ago, like that I shot Chicago & Illinois Midland in Springfield, IL in 1991 while moving from New Jersey to my new job in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, there's lots I don't remember.

Regarding things in very downstate Illinois, I sorta recall shooting some Evansville Western, maybe it was in Mount Vernon, Indiana.

Any other place they centrally park engines/start trains?

I sort of remember that I've shot Centralia (I think it was Centralia.....IC yard there? It might have been CN on a technicality then because I think it was in 2000)

If I'm thinking the right place, is anything there accessible w/o trespassing?If this is the spot I'm thinking, where to stay (nearest town with motel cluster is what I'm looking for)?

TIA,

BobE

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/21 17:44 by BobE.

Date: 04/22/21 18:21
Re: Illinois travel 411, please
Author: stlrailfan

Bob,. 
 Evansville Western keeps power at 2 locations main location is Mt Vernon, Indiana.  Should be a few shootable without trespassing. They are friendly and might allow access to units not publicly shootable. Power also kept at Mcleansboro, IL for the 6 day  a week daylight local. Those are really the only two spots where power is kept..
                                                                                                                                                             Mark

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.035 seconds