Home Open Account Help 284 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Shine on you crazy Low Light!

Date: 05/13/21 11:04
Shine on you crazy Low Light!
Author: santafe199

I remember reading an American Photographer magazine article back in 1981(?) about shooting color slides in overcast weather situations. The message was: "Kodachrome slides can shine on a cloudy day", or something to that effect. The example photo was red tail lights from a car shimmering back over a recently rain-soaked highway. This photo was burned into my memory, apparently for ever.

I was thinking about that A.P. mag picture even before shooting the sequence which resulted in this image post. I knew the headlight/ditchlight package would shining crazily off the line of stored hoopers. As I shot through the sequence I was also thinking how rediculously easy it is to stay ahead of that poor treeless sonuvagun out west. And now that I've increased the lead, I'll briefly nod to the Pink Floyd album 'Wish You Were Here'*

1. KYLE 5004 east, in UTAH Ry paint, rolls east out of a typical Kansas evening sky at New Cambria, KS. Idle grain hoppers stored in the siding were briefly invited to this crazy party...
EXIF: 7:55 PM on May 10, 2021 (National Train Day).

Thanks for shining!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

*Here is a short snippet of shamelessly paraphrased lyrics from Pink Floyd's multi-layered tune Shine On You Crazy Diamond:

"Threatened by hoppers at night, he exposed them to the light
Shine on you crazy KYLE
"

Pink Floyd's follow-up to their all-time classic Dark Side of the Moon from 1973 was another concept album. 1975's Wish You Were Here was only a minor success at first. But in the intervening years it has received a high degree of critical acclaim. "Shine On..." was written as a tribute to former band member Syd Barrett who had to leave the band (1968?) due to collapsing mental health...

DJ Sir L

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/21 11:08 by santafe199.

Date: 05/13/21 14:33
Re: Shine on you crazy Low Light!
Author: twjurgens

Nice!

Date: 05/14/21 07:08
Re: Shine on you crazy Low Light!
Author: bobk

Very nice!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0297 seconds