Home Open Account Help 367 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Shreveport La ?'s

Date: 05/13/21 15:15
Shreveport La ?'s
Author: ns2557

Have to go east to Georgia next week. Going across I20 out of the Dallas Tex area. While I am familiar with the route, a few things I would like to get while going to and returning from.  What is the Shreveport La area like for activity? Is it worthwhile going north to the KCS Deramus Yard here? Anything to shoot in town possibly?  ?2  Over in the Monroe La area is the AL&M, Where can I find them at? Never have I seen them on my trips thru so I would like to try and get a shot or 2. 3? and last one. At Vicksburg where the KCS crosses the Mississippi at, one can get shots of EB's coming over the bridge into Ms from La. Morning shots seem to be the best light, but what kind of traffic can one expect? Are they busy? Is anything that runs have a good time as to when I might be able to shoot one?  Thanks for any and all help.  Take care all, Ben

Date: 05/13/21 16:36
Re: Shreveport La ?'s
Author: FiveChime

Wilson Alley in Shreveport can be inteesting where UP and KCS run parellel for a few miles.

See attached video from around 10 years ago.

Regards, Jim Evans

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/21 17:32 by FiveChime.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 05/13/21 16:55
Author: 3rdswitch

All places mentioned TO ME, are worth the visit. Shreveport is very busy with the area from old Deramus Yard to the Red River accessable in many places. I ALWAYS get off I-20 at Gibsland to check out the LNW, which heads north early morning returning mid day. A Watco property also comes in from down south with power OFTEN tied down on the main a half mile or so south of the KCS LNW crossing. Just two weeks ago I caught the ALM in Monroe coming into town in the morning to interchange with the KCS at their small, busy, crowded yard there when they sometimes wait a long time to get out. Their line makes a U turn just west of the KCS Monroe yard allowing good light all day for either direction IF you catch this job. Traffic along this KCS main can be really hit or miss. Afternoons are USUALLY busy. IF you are in Vicksburg EARLY morning, a turn comes in from Jackson to interchange with the Vicksburg Southern Watco line NORMALLY heading back to Jackson by 0900 hrs into good morning light. The short tunnel (NOT the one off the Mississippi River bridge) where the line curves east near downtown Vicksburg after climbing away from the river, is a good place to catch this job which normally has a pair of Belles. Another seldom seen, or mentioned, shortline Delta Southern, runs north out of Tallulah five miles or so to the Port of Tallulah and is often tied down along the Hwy north of town. I have never seen them moving, but last visit there were a pair of new lease FURX units on a southbound empty grain train tied down along this Hwy. The mainlines of both CN and KCS cross via crossovers in downtown Jackson and are accessable with all traffic through town crossing the same overpass. The KCS yard in Jackson is a couple of miles east of downtown with the east end visible for shooting. IF you are not familiar with KCS operations, the trains call all signals so a scanner it very helpful.
JB

Date: 05/14/21 11:03
Author: 3rdswitch

Wow, just watched the video. Great timing. This line is used by both UP, ex SSW, and KCS trains to the Jackson and New Orleans. Traffic for Mexico, Beaumont and Lake Charles leave this line about a mile to the west. This train is most likely coming from the New Orleans line. Just to the right of your video is the site of the old Shreveport Union Station. I always go to this area, although questionable as to safety, it is a great place to sit for a while.

Date: 05/17/21 16:32
Author: 8notch

Awesome timing 

Date: 05/20/21 11:24
Author: sp8192

Good stuff.  I would say around the year 2000.   The full KCS light package gives that away.  Most were gone in early 2000-2004

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0529 seconds