Home Open Account Help 252 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A bit of Golden Hour at the Divide (NM)

Date: 05/15/21 05:32
A bit of Golden Hour at the Divide (NM)
Author: Super_C

Nothing really fancy today.  My idea is to provide a little insight as to what happens after the "Golden Hour shot".  If it is a dusk shot, all that remains is dinner somewhere and a motel room.  On the other hand, if it is dawn, a day's worth of shooting is on the agenda.  These three images are an example of the latter.

The morning began at 0 dark 30 with about 160 miles to drive before reaching West Baca, NM on the Transcon.  "Baca" is a railroad name actually located in the village of Prewitt, NM located on I-40 about 45 miles east of Gallup.

1.  The best glint shot was the final train is a westbound fleet.  The Z-KCKSBD1-08A is storming through the crossovers at sunrise.  Note that he is running left handed at this locaton.

2&3.  The day's drive is intended to end out at Kingman, AZ with shots of opportunity in between.  After departing West Baca, we drove west 15 miles to the area just west of the Continental Divide.  The plan was to shoot some eastbounds on the North track a couple of miles east of North Guam.  The North track is for eastbounds (usually) because the BNSF runs left handed from Winslow to Belen.  Son of a gun, plans change in an instant!  Here comes the train we just shot at West Baca running "wrong main" (which is not really true because trains can run on either track in either direction at the discression of the DS).  This is a coming and going shot of the Z-KCKSBD1-08A on October 9, 2011.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/21 07:21 by Super_C.

Date: 05/15/21 06:10
Re: A bit of Golden Hour at the Divide (NM)
Author: jtwlunch

All 3 great shots.

Date: 05/15/21 07:55
Author: texchief1

Nice shots!

RC Lundgren
Elgin, TX

Date: 05/15/21 10:02
Author: santafe199

I've always admired the pre-planning you employ when you're out on a shoot. Most people here don't have a clue how much of that goes into your approach to this hobby. And as usual, your eye for composition is flawless. Image #1 is an IOTD candidate, hands down! But all 3 are first-class. Kudos...

Lance

Date: 05/15/21 13:35
Author: Ritzville

Very NICE!!

Larry

Date: 05/15/21 21:08
Author: Odyssey

Thanks for sharing the images ...
#1 is a beauty!

Odyssey,

Evergreen, CO

Date: 05/16/21 12:22
Author: ns1000

I also like Pic 1!!

Date: 05/16/21 14:00
Author: railfannw

Good shots .

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0511 seconds