Home Open Account Help 244 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Moab, Ut

Date: 05/16/21 16:12
Moab, Ut
Author: mben132131

I will be on vacation in Moab the last week of May. What are the chances of seeing any movements on the Moab branch? Thanks in advance for any info.

Date: 05/16/21 16:13
Re: Moab, Ut
Author: dan

real good

Date: 05/16/21 18:50
Author: atsf121

Do a quick search to double check the current schedule. Believe the train out of Grand Junction down to the phosphate mine runs on Sunday. Back at the ex-DRGW mainline it’s pretty quiet. Amtrak and the BNSF trains are about the only guaranteed thing these days.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/16/21 19:00
Author: mexrail

I was In Moab this past week.  Saw the power sitting on Tuesday on my way to the Arches National Park.

Mexrail

Date: 05/16/21 19:45
Author: railstiesballast

One of my favorite drives in the whole country is north out of Moab along the Colorado.
It ends up crossing the old DRGW at Cisco.

Date: 05/16/21 20:13
Author: toledopatch

As of 2019 the Potash Local was back to running on Fridays.

To my knowledge there also are still uranium tailings trains running, but it's only one-way, five days per week on Sunday through Thursday evenings - south one operating day, north the next. I believe they typically get moving around 7 p.m. but be in position by 6 just in case.

Date: 05/16/21 20:51

railstiesballast Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One of my favorite drives in the whole country is
> north out of Moab along the Colorado.
> It ends up crossing the old DRGW at Cisco.
>

Did it last Monday.  Beautiful!

Mexrail

Date: 05/16/21 20:54

Forgot to mention, there is a huge tie replacement going on,  or about to start.  I may have seen the work train power last Tuesday.

Mexrail

Date: 05/16/21 21:14
Author: dan

for the passenger trains perhaps?

Date: 05/17/21 06:36
Author: cjvrr

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,5254423

Look at this thread, just posted my trip report from May 7th.

Date: 05/17/21 13:52
Author: ReadingRR

I was nosing around Google maps, thinking about going to Moab this fall, after Chama.  But the motel prices about knocked me out of my chair.  Holiday Inn Express $291, Hampton Inn $342. Is there some big event going on, or are these prices normal?
Paul

Date: 05/17/21 13:57
Author: WW

^From what I've heard, those prices are pretty much "normal" now.  Moab, sadly, has become the red rock version of Telluride or Aspen, filled with plenty of people with more dollars than sense, and lot of selfish attitude to go with it.  Just another town wrecked by recreational "success."  I'm glad that I knew Moab before it got "discovered."  I don't ever plan on going back there again.

Date: 05/24/21 19:04
Author: atsf121

Lots of places in Utah are busy this summer and fall. Booked a room for my kids mountain bike race in the fall and it was way more expensive than I expected. Have heard that about places around Zion as well.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0423 seconds