Home Open Account Help 392 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Monterey Branch Line Handcar Tours Starts July 3

Date: 06/17/21 16:01
Monterey Branch Line Handcar Tours Starts July 3
Author: webmaster

Two weeks from Saturday we will host our first public handcar excursions across the Monterey Branch Line.  Our fleet of handcars is complete and with the exception of a couple of nagging cypress stumps, the branch line is clear and ready to go.  We launched our ticketing system a few days ago and handcars are being booked.  On July 1 the remainder of our fleet moves north to Marina.   

I know a number of Trainorders members expressed interest in coming up.  I am offering a free six month membership extension to any member that books a handcar during the first two weekends of July. If you take advantage of this offer book a spot over on https://www.handcar.com and email me at todd@handcar.com and I will credit your Trainorders.com account.

So what is it like?  It is really an awesome experience and this may be the last time a flange wheel ever rolls on the branch line.  On a clear day the scenery around the balloon loop is jaw dropping. The branch line has some tough grades, but so far our test subjects have been able to complete the route.   If you don't get out and exercise regularly then perhaps a six mile handcar ride might be a bit much for you. During testing we had an elderly gentleman bring two grandsons to help him and that worked out well.  Perhaps it is a handcar, but I suppose it can be rickshaw too with a little help.  I have a video in this post that shows the route from the air.

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 06/17/21 16:11
Re: Monterey Branch Line Handcar Tours Starts July 3
Author: RailDawg

Just plain awesome.

What a great way to explore!

Chuck

Date: 06/17/21 16:33
Author: DynamicBrake

Congratulations Todd and Mason.  Your hard work is about to start paying dividends.  I believe the novelty of riding a Handcar will be an attraction to tourists.  I think your business venture will be very successful!  When are the T shirts going to be available?

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 06/17/21 16:45
Author: webmaster

DynamicBrake Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Congratulations Todd and Mason.  Your hard work
> is about to start paying dividends.  I believe
> the novelty of riding a Handcar will be an
> attraction to tourists.  I think your business
> venture will be very successful!  When are the T
> shirts going to be available?
>
> Kent in CArmel Valley

We have t-shirts, but we don't have the time resources to handle mail order for them.  They will be on sale at the event.

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

Date: 06/17/21 16:55
Author: rrpreservation

Nice!!! Best of luck on your endeavor!!!

Date: 06/17/21 17:12
Author: icancmp193

I love the Monterey Peninsula and used to get down there at least once a year (it's a 6+ hour drive for us). Good luck with your venture!

TJY

Date: 06/17/21 18:37
Author: SoCalCynic

I wish Todd and Mason all safety and success! If I wasn't facing major surgery later this month I would book a trip.

Date: 06/17/21 20:14
Author: trainjunkie

Congrats and best wishes for a successful venture. The next time I have some time off I'll keep this at the top of the list for me and my kids to do. Sounds like fun, if I have them do all the work. :-)

Date: 06/17/21 22:36
Author: miralomarail

Gee, I remember that loop from when I took my Basic Training at Fort Ord.
I wish you all the Best and Safe travels

Date: 06/18/21 15:28
Author: MojaveBill

Back in '59-'61 I was paid and got free room and board from the government on the Monerey Penninsula, which is a truly
nice place.

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 06/25/21 10:25
Author: kk5ol

I too spent the Fall of 1970 as a guest of Uncle Sam @ Ft. Otd. Rode the Pacific Grove to the 'city' & back. Also walked the loop @ 'Giggling Siding".

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.6313 seconds