Home Open Account Help 251 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A Few Questions Regarding UP and CP Routes In Huntley IL

Date: 06/19/21 16:01
A Few Questions Regarding UP and CP Routes In Huntley IL
Author: UPDetector

I'm spending time with family in Huntley Illinois and I noticed there's tracks on the former DME is a crossing known as State Street along Illinois Route 72 and then on the UP there's a crossing at Grove Street right in downtown Huntley and this one I'm assuming is UP's Geneva Sub but still curious but there is a crossing known as First Street along Illinois 47 and Elburn. I'm curious as to what railroad subdivisions these are and how much traffic they receive on a daily basis. Thanks for your help for whomever provides it.

Posted from Android

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/21 16:33 by UPDetector.

Date: 06/19/21 16:45
Re: A Few Questions Regarding UP and CP Routes In Huntley IL
Author: dt8089

The crossing at Elburn is the UP Geneva Sub and the busiest.  The CP is the former Milwaukee Road from Bensenville to Savanna and see's a few trains a day.  The line through Huntley is another UP line that runs up to Janesville WI.  I think they run one freight a day each way through there.  Go a little west of Elburn and you will hit Rochelle where it crosses the BNSF's mainline to the Twin Cities and has a railfan park for safe viewing.  More people could chime in with accurate train counts but you'll definetly see some action.  Dan

Date: 06/19/21 17:33
Author: UPDetector

Thank you for your help with the info I'll have to check it all out while on vacation. Thank you again gratefully appreciated Dan.

Posted from Android

Date: 06/19/21 17:55
Author: mexrail

I think the UP line through downtown Huntley actually is the line to Belvidere and Rockford.  Many years ago I do think this line curved north out of Rockford and did wind up in Janesville.  The Janesville line is further north.  Rt. 47 crosses it at Woodstock.

Mexrail

Date: 06/20/21 05:56
Author: kevink

Mexrail is correct.
There is a Facebook group for the UP Belvidere Sub that often gives heads ups for train movements.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/20/21 15:28
Author: ItsInEight

The line through downtown Huntley is our Belvidere Sub, which starts at West Chicago (MP34.0) runs up to Belvidere (MP80.5) then heads into Rockford on what is called the Rockford Industrial lead. The tracks end on the west side of Rockford at Liebovich Steel. The line was part of the Original Galena and Chicago Union RR which ran from Freeport to Rockford and west Chicago.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0417 seconds