Home Open Account Help 207 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Switcher Saturday: Different outfit!

Date: 06/19/21 20:59
Switcher Saturday: Different outfit!
Author: santafe199

I thought I’d get out today, and make use of the lengthy daylight we have going on right now. I found some neat stuff, such as the K&O boys working an elevator out in Lincoln, KS. It was my first time ever, catching the K&O anywhere but Salina or Abilene. Unfortunately I also caught up with some hazy-lazy cloud cover in a few places. But I couldn’t argue with the subject matter! On the way out to finding my stroke of good luck at Lincoln, I shot this switcher at an elevator I used to work as a Santa Fe trainman, way back when...

BTW: I don’t guess there’s any law against posting three ‘Switcher Saturdays’ inside a 24 hour span. If there is, well... I just hafta break the law... ;^)

1. CRGX 1342 is spotting a string of hoppers at the Cargill AG Horizons elevator complex on the NW corner of Salina, KS on June 19, 2021. Back in my Santa Fe days (’78 ~ ’87) I performed duties as a switchman here a few times. It was called just plain “Bunge” back then...

Thanks for looking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 06/19/21 23:49
Re: Switcher Saturday: Different outfit!
Author: Evan_Werkema

santafe199 Wrote:

> Back in my
> Santa Fe days (’78 ~ ’87) I performed duties
> as a switchman here a few times. It was called
> just plain “Bunge” back then...

Are those orange things fall arresters, or do they use them for "Bunge" jumping? 

Date: 06/20/21 04:36

Evan_Werkema Wrote: > ... or do they use them for "Bunge" jumping? 

They never had those monkey bars out there when I was passing hand signals, making long joints, tying handbrakes & lacing up air hoses...

Date: 06/20/21 08:41
Author: kpline

Lance,
     Did you get any pics up there in Lincoln?  Never have seen a Lincoln pic here over all the years.
Thanks,
Mike

Date: 06/20/21 09:13

kpline Wrote: > ... Did you get any pics up there in Lincoln?

Yessir, I did very well! I have quite a few images to sift through. And I might have something to post later today, or maybe tomorrow depending on how my day goes today. As they used to say back in the early days of TV Land "don't touch that dial!" For now, here's link with a pic you might enjoy:   Workin' on the RR the day... (trainorders.com)

Lance/199

Date: 06/20/21 14:45
Author: retcsxcfm

Evan_Werkema Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> santafe199 Wrote:
>
> > Back in my
> > Santa Fe days (’78 ~ ’87) I performed
> duties
> > as a switchman here a few times. It was called
> > just plain “Bunge” back then...
>
> Are those orange things fall arresters, or do they
> use them for "Bunge" jumping

They do tie safety lines to these overhead bars.That is why they
are at all locations that require a man on top of car.

Uncle Joe
Seffner,Fl.

Date: 06/20/21 18:03
Author: ns1000

Very nice..!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0504 seconds