Home Open Account Help 364 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > DRGW Heritage in the boonies

Date: 07/11/21 04:37
DRGW Heritage in the boonies
Author: santafe199

Hey, this hobby is a snap! Ya get a tip on a photo-worthy train, splash some water on yer face, grab yer camera ‘stuff’ and hit the door running. No problem! Although sometimes it’s a good idea gas-up before leaving town...

Yesterday morning my cell phone woke me (the rest of the way) up with info on an “ILGB4-07” train with Rio Grande heritage on the point. The text gave me the on-duty time and the “crew transport-to-pick-up-train at-______”. I formulated and executed a plan to intercept this EB outfit by running down the GSR southwest of Herington. But there is great peril in trying to get back ahead of 3 miles of rolling double-stacks. Especially when the train is running on a direct SW ~ NE slant while you have Kansas’ square-corner country roads to deal with. Turns out that image #4 was my last shot of the train for the entire day. Coupled with one of the very rare times that a train runs right through Herington without stopping at the fuel rack. It must have been a “slam-bam thank-you, ma’am” crew change at Herington, as well. Another rare occurrence...

1. 2. & 3. UP 1989, the D&RGW Heritage paint job leads zillion mile (read: 3, give or take) long stacker at the Indigo Rd crossing NE of Durham, KS.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/21 04:42 by santafe199.

Date: 07/11/21 04:40
Re: DRGW Heritage in the boonies

But wait, there’s more:

4. One more, almost catching up with the wrong end of 3 miles of double-stacked containers. We’re looking east from the Kanza Rd crossing just west of Tampa, KS, and...

5. ...make that two more with this kinda-sorta off topic shot of a big part of the reason I never got back around the train. I had to follow this farm equipment @ 10-15 MPH all the way up to the paved, with a passing lane: rural 330th St. Since it’s on the same road, I wonder if this is the same young man from the last image in this recent thread: ( Canadians on the GSR (trainorders.com) ).
(5 photos taken July 10, 2021)

Thanks for the tip!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

PS: I understand some of the Eastern KS gang got this train later on...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/21 04:46 by santafe199.

Date: 07/11/21 05:25
Author: AndyBrown

I love what railfanning has become in the cell phone and internet age; sure makes life easier!

Nice catch but too bad it was "one and done."  Farmers on the road a daily fact of life up this way too (eastern IA), but, coming from a farm background myself, I try not to complain too much...

I was starting to wonder about that much train behind one unit, then seen the DPs in the middle; good consist!

Andy

Date: 07/11/21 08:06
Author: 462pacific

I always wondered where the boonies were. Not bad looking country.

Date: 07/11/21 08:49
Author: texchief1

Very nice shots, Lance!

RC Lundgren

Date: 07/11/21 09:03
Author: SouthWestRailCams

Very Nice!

Jeff

SouthWest RailCams
CA, NM, CO, TX, AZ
https://SouthWestRailCams.com

Date: 07/11/21 09:05
Author: Christi

Great catch of 1989 Lance!  Make sure PhotoBob does not know where the boonies are...   He might take all those trees and bring them back to Dunsmuir to add to his collection..  ;-)

Christi

RailFanAZ - RailFanning BNSF & UP
AZ, CA, NM, TX
RailFanAZ.com

Date: 07/11/21 09:52

462pacific Wrote: > ... always wondered where the boonies were ...

(chuckling!) Yeah... I kinda-sorta use the term "the boonies" interchangeably with "the sticks". Either way it is my description of rural areas here in my home-state Land of OZ. Remote photo-locations where you really don't expect to see many normal folks (goofy railfans being the obvious exception here). And in these rural spots you may or may not have to worry about "Lions & Tigers & Bears... OH MY!" But you will surely be joined by a gazillion tiny little friends known as crickets...  ;^)

Lance/199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/21 09:53 by santafe199.

Date: 07/11/21 09:56
Author: Ritzville

Nice series, like the 1989 on the point!

Larry

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0879 seconds