Home Open Account Help 361 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Toto Tuesday: 70 MPH moments

Date: 07/20/21 10:15
Toto Tuesday: 70 MPH moments
Author: santafe199

I’m sitting in the driver’s seat of my rig, ‘Willie IV’. I have 300mm of telephoto glass partially braced up by the window sill. I’m parked on a short farm field access road not far off of the completely deserted KS hwy 177. It’s that time in the evening when all is quiet save for occasional bird chirps. Golden Hour in the Chase County Flint Hills. A train is on the way, but the sound of that silence completely enshrouds my senses. Utter serenity permeates everything...

Then a familiar but distant rumble starts teasing my railfan ears. I hear it, but prudence dictates I wait for more substantial audible evidence. It happens every time. Then a pair of muffled crossing sequences drifts up the valley and into my ears from nearly 3 miles away. It’s official! Just like a thousand times before, another train is on the way. I make a final review of my planned shooting sequence. All set... >>v

1. A much closer crossing sequence is followed by a bright orange nose poking around the corner at the west switch. A triangle of headlights starts a “stare down” contest through my D7100’s viewfinder...

2. With no speed restriction BNSF 4287 rapidly fills my 300mm viewfinder, but that intense stare down is about to break...

3. I pull back to 125mm and the serenity around me disintegrates into the thunder of 17,000+ HP rushing past me n’ Willie IV. At 70 per. A toot on the horn from a friendly hogger is icing on this railfan cake. And there ain’t no clickety-clack here, jack!!! This is completely modern welded rail. And those rails are singing joyfully under the rush of 70 MPH flanged steel wheels.
Railfanning just doesn’t get much better than this...
(3 photos taken at Bazaar, KS on June 13, 2021)

Thanks for listening!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

PS: All is quiet once again. The serenity has settled back in, like it always does. A bird just chirped. And I do believe the crickets are warming up...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/21 10:52 by santafe199.

Date: 07/20/21 10:32
Re: Toto Tuesday: 70 MPH moments
Author: Ritzville

Always enjoyable at 70 MPH rolling towards you with a friendly crew!

Larry

Date: 07/20/21 10:48
Author: DynamicBrake

Lance,
I've got to agree with you....there's nothing like the sound of flange squeal on welded rail.  Thanks for the share.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 07/20/21 11:12
Author: UP951West

My favorite location on the Flint Hills route since 1992 . Thanks, Lance !   --Kelly

Date: 07/20/21 11:23

Thanks guys! I've been preaching the KS Flint Hills gospel ever since being introduced to the area in 1977. There's no place like it...

Lance

Date: 07/20/21 11:49
Author: Rathole

Absolutely!  One of my favorites too!

=======================================

santafe199 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks guys! I've been preaching the KS Flint
> Hills gospel ever since being introduced to the
> area in 1977. There's no place like it...
>
> Lance

Date: 07/20/21 12:17
Author: texchief1

Great group of shots, Lance!  What is that milepost.  I can't quite make it out.  I've never shot from that spot.   Maybe a little more detail on the location would help.

Thanks a bunch!

RC Lundgren

Date: 07/20/21 13:14

texchief1 Wrote: > ... What is that milepost ...

It's MP 137 (on the Emporia Sub). But this spot is dead easy to find. As you travel south down K-177 past the turnoff into Bazaar the highway & RR track come together. And the access road is RIGHT THERE in front of God & everybody. The landowners living on the other side of 177 have been friendly to me over the years, but I would caution other shooters wanting to use that spot to be aware they might be asked what they are doing there. And I'm guessing using this spot will evaporate as soon as the DT project gets to this area...

Lance

Date: 07/20/21 13:39
Author: texchief1

Thanks, Lance.  Now I know where you are talking about.

RC Lundgren

santafe199 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> texchief1 Wrote: > ... What is that milepost ...
>
> It's MP 137 (on the Emporia Sub). But this spot is
> dead easy to find. As you travel south down K-177
> past the turnoff into Bazaar the highway & RR
> track come together. And the access road is RIGHT
> THERE in front of God & everybody. The landowners
> living on the other side of 177 have been friendly
> to me over the years, but I would caution other
> shooters wanting to use that spot to be aware they
> might be asked what they are doing there. And I'm
> guessing using this spot will evaporate as soon as
> the DT project gets to this area...
>
> Lance

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0597 seconds