Home Open Account Help 171 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Daily Trains per day on the I-5 Corridor

Date: 08/04/21 10:54
Daily Trains per day on the I-5 Corridor
Author: railfandave

Since the UP Black Butte Sub just reopneded for rail traffic with the Dry Creek Trestle Repaired, I was wondering if there would be an increasse amount of UP Trains on the line to see, Plus with the BNSF Gateway Sub close, Would it be worth a trip to railfan the I-5 Corridor over Donner Pass ? Was condering planning a trip to railfan the I-5 Corridor,  Haven't been up there in quite sometime, Is there still a good amount of UP traffic running via the I-5 Corridor, Remember seeing 8-10 UP Trains back then before PSR.

Date: 08/04/21 11:12
Re: Daily Trains per day on the I-5 Corridor
Author: ross

Daily at the moment-

Southbound-
IBRLC
MHKRV
MPWRV
MPDRV
MPDRVB (sometimes not daily?)
Two BNSF detours per 24hr period 
Usually one grain,work,etc extra

Northbound-
ZLCBR
MRVHK
MRVEU
MWCPT
Two BNSF detours
Usually one extra again

Amtrak not running until Sept?

Date: 08/04/21 11:20
Author: TCnR

Which part of the I-5 corridor are you looking at? Or was it Donner?

Folks generally don't visit the Shasta or Oakridge areas looking for train density, it's more of a scenery / photography / getting outside kinda thing. There was some serious traffic the first day or two, three trains south and then three trains north, then the usual confusion with the two Intermodals screwing everything up.

Right now Dunsmuir is socked in with smoke from the west, but the wind could change and we'll find smoke from somwhere else. Haven't checked Oakridge or the Summit but there's plenty of fires around there, The nearby HeliBase at Mott is quoting visibility of a mile, not so good for those mountain vistas.

In general we have a new season for just a lot of smoke...everywhere West.

Here's the local ridge top fire camera looking towards Mt Shasta

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/21 11:28 by TCnR.

Date: 08/04/21 11:27
Author: Coalca

Was up at Odell Lake and the willamette pass summit on Monday, and there was heavy smoke. 

Date: 08/04/21 11:49
Author: railfandave

Looks great, Thanks a lot for the train symbols. Good to know what's running out there now.

Date: 08/04/21 12:00
Author: TCnR

Just had a train of mixed empties go north through Dunsmuir, C-beams but also 50ft box cars, didn't notice any big T-boxes though. The crew asked if CORP was picking the train up right away or if they had to tie it down at Black Butte, Dispatcher came back and said to run it through to Klamath Falls. Oh well.

Date: 08/04/21 13:30
Author: JimBaker

I've been watching the Chehalis, WA Virtual Railfan Net "OS Sheet' attached to the webcam site for any freight operation south of Portland, OR and on to Klamath Falls, and from Sacramento north through Klamath Falls.
So far nothing has shown that I can see.

--Jim Baker

James R.(Jim) Baker
Whittier, CA

Date: 08/04/21 14:02
Author: FiestaFoamer

JimBaker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've been watching the Chehalis, WA Virtual
> Railfan Net "OS Sheet' attached to the webcam site
> for any freight operation south of Portland, OR
> and on to Klamath Falls, and from Sacramento north
> through Klamath Falls.
> So far nothing has shown that I can see.
>
> --Jim Baker

I mean, there aren't through trains that often with the route you describe these days, I don't think. Intermodal from that corridor going to/from Seattle is being handled by ISEBR / IBRTM; mixed freight traffic going north terminates at Portland and goes on MPTSE / MFIPD -- I can't keep track of the symbols anymore, but something like that. (What's weird is there hasn't been one of those in a couple of days, according to the OS sheet -- I wonder what's going on with manifest traffic to and from Seattle on UP?) Occasionally there's something like an Oakland-Tacoma baretable, and there used to be those grain trains off CN for California (don't know if these still run) but even on a good day you might not see much of what you describe.

Date: 08/04/21 16:42
Author: rob_l

ross Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Daily at the moment-
>
> Southbound-
> IBRLC
> MHKRV
> MPWRV
> MPDRV
> MPDRVB (sometimes not daily?)

Which train handles the CORP loads?

TIA,

Rob L.

Date: 08/04/21 18:57
Author: Valleyman

BNSF trains are detouring between Klamath Falls, Or and Marysville, Ca also. Shot the HKLFBAR with BNSF 7156 this morning. Crews are being qualified on the UP now.

Valleyman

Date: 08/04/21 21:00
Author: chakk

New fire this evening near Colfax, California could threaten traffic in the next few days on the Donner Pass route.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0493 seconds