Home Open Account Help 242 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > SDNR San Diego speed limits

Date: 08/04/21 16:46
SDNR San Diego speed limits
Author: GeoffM

I have a timetable from 2007 for the route between San Diego and (Orange) County Line but there's been a lot of double tracking since then. Does anybody know where I could find updated speed limits please? I understand the timetables as a whole are not published anymore for "security" but I don't think I could do anything nefarious knowing the speed limits.

Thanks.

Date: 08/04/21 20:09
Re: SDNR San Diego speed limits
Author: PHall

You're trying to use logic here. It won't work because the people who make the security decisions are illogical.

Date: 08/04/21 22:27
Author: DGOLDE

The new California Region Timetable  #1 that is coming out in a few months will mostly likely have the speed limits for these tracks.  Of course you always ride the train to San Diego and back and look out the window for the speed limit signs posted along the right of way.  Most of these signs will have two speed limits.  The fastest one is for passenger trains and the slowest one is for freight trains.  There is nothing secret about railroad speed limits they are posted right next to tracks for the engineer and conductor to see and if they can see them so can we.

Date: 08/05/21 07:29
Author: MrMRL

Accurate as of June 4, 2021.

Mr. MRL ~ fan safely

Date: 08/05/21 10:42
Author: GeoffM

Wonderful, thank you!

As for reading the signs by the track, my eyesight is not good enough for that!

Date: 08/05/21 11:59
Author: TAW

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You're trying to use logic here. It won't work
> because the people who make the security decisions
> are illogical.

In 1980, I was working in the BN Havre MT dispatchers office. A new timetable was issued. Once upon a time, in a far away land that time forgot, train dispatchers were the final sign off of the timetable draft, but no more. The first I saw of the new timetable was at 630a, when I came to work. It came into effect at 2a. I noticed that the fuel and water stations were missing and complained to the Chief. He told me that they were left out of the timetable in the interest of national security. They didn't want enemy agents knowing where sensitive installations were. I pointed out that they were all in the timetable that was in effect yesterday and asked 'If I look out the window and see the Red Chinese Army headed this way, do I run out and tell them that they must have the current timetable?' The response was 'Oh, get the hell out of here and go back to work.'

Several years ago, I was hired to complete the System Security Plan for a new commuter rail line. I looked through the incomplete material and found references to Arab terrorists, Jihadis, foreign powers, and so on. I studied the area with the available internet resources and found that in the area the line passed through and the area of the stations, there was heavy incidence of robbery, rape, murder, drug deals, burglary, theft and so on. However there had never been a terrorist attack (and probably no reason for any to want to attack there), nor a hint that anyone ever thought to conduct one. I wrote the plan with emphasis on the various heinous crimes occurring to folks and property in the area. I did not include terrorist drill simulations and so on. The client told me the plan was highly irregular. There was almost nothing about terrorism. He kind of alluded to common crime not being generally included in a security plan.

TAW

Date: 08/06/21 09:52
Author: RRTom

TAW, The war on terror is over.  We've moved on to people not wearing masks are the biggest threat.  Kindly get with the program.
My experience with security consultants on transit projects is they peddle fear for money and the clients go along with it.  Perhaps the agency staff misread The Emporer's New Clothes.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0625 seconds