Home Open Account Help 170 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > How do you like your windshield?

Date: 09/07/21 18:17
How do you like your windshield?
Author: santafe199

Slanted or straight...

1. UP 7509 & 8715 sit side-by-side westbound at White City, KS on August 13, 2021. They are leading trains with crews who are waiting patiently (ha ha, hee hee, ho ho ho) for a clear track to arrive in down yonder at Herington. Some 2.6 mile long, 2x3x2 monstrosity is likely occupying the fuel rack & at least one of the fuel trucks. Efficiently. Seriously! (Just ask Uncle Pete... ;^)

Need any Windex?? How about a pizza delivery...

Been there ~ done that.
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 09/07/21 19:26
Re: How do you like your windshield?
Author: Texican65

Straight please.

Although neither designs offer very good visibility of the ground directly in front and to the sides of the locomotive.

I wish they would install the SD-60M style windows in newer locos being built. I know they can, had plenty of CN dash 9’s with those style windshields.

Either way…cool pics!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/07/21 19:46
Author: NS4271

I'll take the EMD.

Date: 09/07/21 20:28
Author: jgilmore

Did you run over to them like squeegee guy does at a stop light in the big city, make a few extra bucks? :^)

JG

Posted from Android

Date: 09/07/21 23:43
Author: Evan_Werkema

I've heard anecdotally that the straight vertical windshields on the old "triclops" SD60M had a problem with ghost reflections from the conductor's rear window ending up in the engineer's line-of-sight straight ahead.  Later production SD60M's and SD70M's had 2-window EMD safety cabs with windshields that were slightly slanted that eliminated this issue.  Did the reflection problems return when EMD went back to vertical windshields on the SD90MAC II and the SD70ACe?  What's left of EMD has now gone back to slanted windshields once again on the SD70ACe-T4.

Date: 09/08/21 05:35
Author: LocoPilot750

I worked in GE land (BNSF KC west). At night if the conductor had his desk light on, his reflection would show up on my windshield and it was very distracting. Most would turn it off unless needed, and I would either ask them to turn it off, or just get up and turn it off myself if he didn't.

Posted from Android

Date: 09/09/21 04:17
Author: funnelfan

You DO NOT want those windows like they had triclops SD60M's, the reflections of light at night were horrible. The 2-window version of the SD60M was sooo much better!

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/21 04:20 by funnelfan.

Date: 09/09/21 09:17
Author: Texican65

GP-60M, SD-60M, SD-70MAC…CN dash 9..just trying to use those two piece windshield designs that slant down in the lower outer corner as an example. I’m not sure what they’re called exactly.

And we’ve had plenty of SD-60M triclops on the point over the years…and never let the light glare at night bother us. We were thankful to have that particular locomotive.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0453 seconds