Home Open Account Help 369 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Another 47+ year old Hi-cube at the Norwalk, CA loading dock

Date: 09/13/21 15:57
Another 47+ year old Hi-cube at the Norwalk, CA loading dock
Author: MrMRL

Another bagged and tagged oldie, SP 228980, built 12-73.

Recorded a few minutes ago parked at the dock in Norwalk, CA along UP's (former SP) lead to service industries in Orange County.

~ Mr. MRL

Date: 09/13/21 18:19
Another 47+ year old Hi-cube at the Norwalk, CA loading dock
Author: atsf121

Hey now, who you callin’ old? Oh wait, my kids call me that all the time. Not sure who’s in better shape since joining this world in ‘73, me or the boxcar. Isn’t there a mandatory retirement from interchange service for railroad cars? If so, what is it?

Nice find by the way.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/21 18:20 by atsf121.

Date: 09/13/21 22:01
Re: Another 47+ year old Hi-cube at the Norwalk, CA loading dock
Author: PHall

atsf121 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey now, who you callin’ old? Oh wait, my kids
> call me that all the time. Not sure who’s in
> better shape since joining this world in ‘73, me
> or the boxcar. Isn’t there a mandatory
> retirement from interchange service for railroad
> cars? If so, what is it?
>
> Nice find by the way.
>
> Nathan
>
> Posted from iPhone

50 years

Date: 09/14/21 02:22
Author: SP_8299

Current interchange rules are cars built before July 1, 1974 were good for 40 years; anything on or after that are good for 50. 

A relatvely recent change, as told to me by a retired TTX Co. employee, is that RRs and car owners can apply for a car Increased Life Status (ILS) of 65 years of service life from its build date.  Last month I photographed some TTX F68AH bulkhead flats originally built in 1970 that fell under that status, with a large "R1" stencil next to the roadnumber signifying this. 

Date: 09/14/21 09:02
Author: SlideSellerII

Car has a rebuild date of 05-92. I believe this gives it an additional 30 years on the clock.

Date: 09/14/21 11:26
Author: atsf121

Thanks for all the info on years of service guys, way more to it than I thought.  I doubt I'll make it 50 years at work, they might put me out to pasture way before then!

Nathan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0891 seconds