Home Open Account Help 232 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Toto Tuesday: Pumpkin in the wild

Date: 09/14/21 03:24
Toto Tuesday: Pumpkin in the wild
Author: santafe199

It never ceases to be fun to shoot pictures from some of the remote locations I used to look at from inside an AT&SF engine cab back in my 1978 ~ 1987 stint with the Santa Fe. Some of those locations sure have changed, though...

1. 2. & 3. BNSF 1688 leads the Superior, Nebraska-bound local just west (NNW as the crow flies) of Talmage, KS on August 4, 2021. You can see a ghostly apparition of the grain elevators at Talmage over the background trees. And it’s still just plain odd to be shooting an SD40-2 on a local. Looking SSE from the Eden Rd crossing.

Thanks for looking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/21 03:25 by santafe199.

Date: 09/14/21 05:02
Re: Toto Tuesday: Pumpkin in the wild
Author: texchief1

Nice, Lance!

RC Lundgren

Date: 09/14/21 05:11
Author: 3rdswitch

Nice light and location.
JB

Date: 09/14/21 07:12
Author: monaddave

santafe199 Wrote:
<< just plain odd to be shooting an SD40-2 on a local <<

Former BN 6817. Check your timebooks, you may have worked with that unit back in the day.

So are there any long sidings to set up meets between Abilene, KS and Superior, NE?
DAF

Date: 09/14/21 07:30

monaddave Wrote: > ... So are there any long sidings to set up meets ...

Nothing has changed since you & I worked 1343/44 and the occasional work train. But I have seen BNSF stash the local here & there, if they're short enough...

LFG

Date: 09/14/21 07:47
Author: krm152

Like your photo series.  Thanks for posting.
ALLEN

Date: 09/14/21 09:02
Author: tomstp

A little wormy welded rail.

Date: 09/14/21 10:45
Author: SP8595

Nice series!

Date: 09/14/21 13:23
Author: PHall

tomstp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A little wormy welded rail.

Well, it's not exactly the Transcon...

Date: 09/14/21 15:38

PHall Wrote: > ... not exactly the Transcon ...

Thank you for mentioning what SHOULD be blatantly obvious. It's getting to the point where guys just can't wait to jump up and yell how crappy the track is in some images. And it's usually the same M.O.W. guys over & over & over & over & over. You'd think they've never heard of telephoto lens photography. And they have never ever noticed what telephoto COMPRESSION does to a given track. No... they get all aroused and just can't wait to bark out how $#!++y somebody else's track is. One of these days I will find out where their holier-than-thou trackage is and shoot the crap out of it with my 300 & 400mm lenses. That should redden some faces... ;^)

Lance/199

Date: 09/14/21 16:08
Author: Milw_E70

monaddave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So are there any long sidings to set up meets
> between Abilene, KS and Superior, NE?
> DAF

Concordia has a ~6800 foot long siding although at least a quarter of it stretches over several crossings in town.

My last trip up the “branch” a few weeks ago had two and a half pages of slow orders between Lost Springs and Superior in my bulletins

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0529 seconds