Home Open Account Help 228 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Dark Faces for the railfan gods

Date: 09/30/21 13:36
Dark Faces for the railfan gods
Author: santafe199

Those railfan gods are sometimes friendly, sometimes goofy and sometimes downright ornery. You just never know which ones will show up when you’re out shooting. Case in point: I was out last Sunday following up on a ‘double’ heads-up. I was looking to bag a KCS unit on the point over the KP and then go find the Rio Grande Heritage unit up on the UP’s Marysville ~ Topeka main, in that order. I was successful, even though there wasn’t a whole lot of time in between the two events. So I figured the railfan gods were smiling on me.

But later in the afternoon as I was trying to make use of the perfect sunshine, those smiling railfan gods turned the tables and had some fun with me. Business concluded up north, I dropped down to the UP’s GSR to see what I could find. From westbound I-70 I spotted a long eastbound stacker. The head end was already out of sight, so all I could see was the mid-train DP power. I made a quick turnaround through the split rest area west of the Vera Rd exit. I knew I had would never catch this train unless it was meeting a westbound at Maple Hill. I gave it the “good ol’ college try”, but came up short. I got to Maple Hill just in time to see the rear end rapidly rolling away past the empty west end of Maple Hill siding (see image #1).

Thinking ahead, I thought this might be a great opportunity to catch a westbound train on the big sweeping curve at Willard Rd near the east end of Maple Hill siding. It’s a favorite go-to location for both TO pal ‘mg8711’ & me. The train in image #1 would have to make it to west Topeka -about 15 rail miles away- to let a westbound go. So I drove east, parked at the Willard Rd crossing and settled in for at least a 30” wait. I accessed TO on my cell phone and proceeded to bury my nose in a few of the forums. 27 minutes later the crossing gates activated right on cue. I ran my driver’s window down looking for a westbound train in that gorgeous sunlight. WRONG!!! It was another eastbound stacker, a semi-monster with a 2x1 power arrangement. I ended up shooting right into the sunshine just to record the engine #. And I got a decent away shot to record the DP unit (images #2 & #3). Ok now... let’s run this play again and get it right, as a football coach might tell his team. 26 minutes later the gates activated again. And once again it was a very long 2x1 stacker coming eastbound. I repeated the photo process (images #4 & #5) and came to the conclusion the railfan gods were now truckin’ with me. The low sunlight was getting close to the high treetops around the crossing so I gave up on Willard Rd.

I headed down the GSR toward a spot west of McFarland where the main line was more conducive to eastbound photography. But a quick check of the signal at the west end of the siding between Paxico & McFarland revealed that a westbound train was finally on the way. So I doubled back a ways and got images #6, #7 & #8 coming underneath I-70 at Paxico. It was now after 6 PM and I would soon lose the “golden hour” sunshine. Time to head for home...

1. Looking east from the S Main St crossing in Maple Hill, KS, an eastbound semi-monster stacker is out of reach, heading for Topeka.

Date: 09/30/21 13:38
Re: Dark Faces for the railfan gods

2. & 3. UP 5327 come outta the blu... I mean dark side of the sun angle. Not what I was expecting. But I got a half-decent record shot of DP unit 7208.

Date: 09/30/21 13:39

4. & 5. Instant replay: Almost a half hour later here come UP 6695 out of the same dark angle, with UP 6355 as the DP. Images 2-5 taken at the Willard Rd crossing at Maple Hill, KS.

Added: Since those railfan gods sent me 2 trains right out of that golden sunlight I gave ‘em what they wanted I quadrupled the contrast in these images to give them “dark faces”.

Date: 09/30/21 13:41

6. 7. & 8. I did finally get a westbound train! Here’s UP 5394 on yet another ultra-long stacker at Paxico, KS.
(All photos taken September 26, 2021)

Thanks for letting me vent!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 09/30/21 19:40
Author: mg8711

First train just had no interest in being shot...I got caught on the dark side of it at Alma...those 3 mile long stacks aren't too fun when you have an upset stomach and just want to get home.
mg8711

Date: 09/30/21 23:11

mg8711 Wrote: > ... I got caught on the dark side ...

Yeah... I let myself get caught there for both of those friggin' EBs. I was set for a great 300mm teleboomer shot across the nose and into the interior of that sweeping curve. For a WESTBOUND! And I kept getting EBs. Sometimes you pick wrong so you just fire up the rig and drive away...

:^(

Date: 10/01/21 11:48
Author: texchief1

The third WB shot is the best.

RC Lundgren

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0843 seconds