Home Open Account Help 218 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Bridge abutments/New signals on BNSF Monroe St, Riverside,Ca.

Date: 10/18/21 20:41
Bridge abutments/New signals on BNSF Monroe St, Riverside,Ca.
Author: RailRat

I've driven under this bridge a zillion times, but never took a picture till yesterday, I always figured those extensions were intended for another track someday, they have been here for a long time.

The new signals at this spot happen to get into the act also in this photo.

This is kind of a reply or addition to the recent discussion here on TO about the new signals going in along this route through Riverside, plus the eventual addition of a third track?

Pic 1&2: Monroe St Bridge

Pic 3: 3rd yet Unused Steel Bridge over I-215 in Grand Terrace on BNSF/UP, taken from Barton Road and W.La Cadena Ave.
(This was taken in 2017, a few years after the big freeway widening project)
Which was no small undertaking by the way., especially the construction, movement, and placement of these new replacement bridges!

I wonder about the Van Buren overcrossing, if space for a third track was built into it also?
Will have to go there soon,it's only a half mile from my place,but that location seems to be a beehive of trespassing homeless and crazy characters lately, plus risk of a possible encounter with Railroad or local Police is not too encouraging.

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/21 21:05 by RailRat.

Date: 10/18/21 22:06
Re: Bridge abutments/New signals on BNSF Monroe St, Riverside,Ca.
Author: mundo

All of the signalsbridges from Riverside to West Corona, were built for the 3rd track.

Stations designed for 3rd track. which would be a center track, then one for each platform. Platforms designed for the changes. but major rework.

I feel a major Interlocking will be required at West Riverside with the UP and the 3rd track.

Riverside RCTC making plans now at Riverside for an additional platform and tracks on the East side, that the local's are already fighting. What else is new!

Moreno Valley Station gets reworked with two track platform.

Master plan for most of Metrolink service is hourly service,  half hour peak.  All lines will be double or triple track.  Anaheim Canyon now getting new platforms and two tracks.  Master plan for Olive sub is  double track.  3rd track being engineered now for Esperanza to Atwood.

But lots of money needs to be found for track and equipment.  Do not hold your breath.

Date: 10/19/21 01:00
Author: Evan_Werkema

Thanks for the photos Jim.  Here are a few more updates from last Sunday 10/17:

1. No replacement signals were in evidence at Atwood, CA (yet), either at the eastbound triple searchlight shown here or the westbound signal bridge behind me.  At Prado Dam west of Corona, however, pieces of two new cantilevers were on the ground waiting to replace the signal bridge and cantilever currently serving there.

2. Up at Mary St. in Riverside, CA, as reported by ABHoffmann the vertical support for the cantilever was now in place, the mast-mounted searchlights were still bagged, and the old signal bridge was still in service as an NS-powered westbound passed beneath. 

3. A similar arrangement was developing around the signal bridge further west by the Harrison St. crossing - bagged mast-mounted searchlights (presumably temporary) and the support for a new cantilever (presumably "permanent").  Unfortunately, NS 7680 West was the last westbound BNSF sent down the pike in daylight, so we'll have to settle for a sunset/moonrise view of just the signals.

By the way, no new signals, foundations, or other work was in evidence at Jackson St. 

Date: 10/19/21 03:47
Author: ABHoffmann

To RailRat, mundo, and Evan_Werkema:

Thanks all for the updates … and photos!

Related to the three truss bridges over the I-215 Freeway in the Grand Terrace area, triple-tracking north (railroad east) to Colton has weird quirks that has complications for triple-tracking!  Physically SOUTH of the Colton Flyover is BNSF Mains 1 and 2 (technically 2 is 3 with no 2), and the old “East Pass” which is now the UP Mt. Vernon Connector (not sure if BNSF calls it that, but UP does on the east end).  There is room for four tracks over the N Street bridge in Colton.  However, complicating that bridging is two tracks are owned by BNSF and two-tracks, at least the space for, is owned by UP.  So, a third BNSF track has impossible connotations!  As does the 1936 built Barton Road overpass (third Railrat photo) over the two-track cut in the Grand Terrace area.

How the powers that be will unscramble that mess should be most interesting to watch!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/21 09:44 by ABHoffmann.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0624 seconds