Home Open Account Help 291 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > California Railroad Timetable 1 - Response to Suggestions

Date: 10/20/21 08:58
California Railroad Timetable 1 - Response to Suggestions
Author: aggiebob

Thank you for your suggestions, reviews and criticisms of the new California Railroad Timetable No. 1.

• This is not an Altamont Press timetable. It is intended to fill the need vacated by the cessation of Altamont Press timetables.
• Spiral binding was not an option available from my printer.
• Future editions will likely include an electronic version which may be printed by the buyer.
• There will be some errors in the Timetable. I had two people an myself proofread the timetable and most errors should have been corrected. A few formatting errors did get through.
• Railroad issued timetables have inaccuracies and errors. I was part of a small team which produced SP employee timetables in the 1990s and despite our best efforts errors and inaccuracies occurred.
• I used the latest available employee timetables / general orders in preparation of this book. I did not use the outdated Altamont Press timetables as a source, therefore  some "old stations and former sidings" are not included.
• The margins used were recommended by the printer and I have no issue with them. The original draft had narrower margins and I had to manually reset every page, paragraph and table, a time consuming three weeks of fun.
• I did not include any color in the interior to keep costs reasonable. Color depiction of signals and roadway signs are included in the supplement downloaded from the website.
• "Speed Zones" or detailed speed restrictions are not included. The amount of work required to do this and keep up with changes makes this impractical.
• There are no page number references in the timetable column where lines connect or cross. There are 544 instances where this occurs in the timetable- if addition or subtraction of pages occurs potentially hundreds
  of page number reference changes may be required. There is a detailed table of contents which is suitable for determining page locations.

Thanks,
David Bernstein
King Street Press
e-mail: kingstreetpress@protonmail.com
internet: http://kingstreetpress.org/

Date: 10/20/21 09:23
Re: California Railroad Timetable 1 - Response to Suggestions
Author: zephyr17

Just got mine, and a great job. The inclusion of many maps and track layouts is a big improvement over the old Altamont Press timetables, IMHO.

One thing, though. You mention both here and in the timetable that signal aspects and indications and roadway signs are availability on a downloadable supplement available on kingstreetpress.org. I cannot find any trace of such content there.

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/21 09:24 by zephyr17.

Date: 10/20/21 10:48
Author: Zephyr

Received my copy yesterday.  Thank-you very much for doing a fantastic job in compiling all of the railroad information into one handy timetable type book.  You did a great job!

Pete
Oxnard, California

Date: 10/20/21 11:51
Author: callum_out

I dunno, got mine on Monday, thought it was great. well worth the cost. I have concerns over the number of openings before the bind fails. I'm not
in love with the format, just as soon see 8 1/2 X 11 with spiral binding. It's a bit chunky to fit in a back pocket, other size might be worth a look. Love
the maps, very worthwhile addition. Lot's of work, mass props for even doing it!

Out 

Date: 10/20/21 12:38
Author: traindave

there is one railroad i could not seem to find but it is listed under emergency contacts, Niles canyon railway

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/21 12:39 by traindave.

Date: 10/20/21 13:13
Author: aggiebob

I intended to add timetable pages for tourist railroads but decided not to include them. Sorry for the confusion.

David Bernstein
King Street Press

Date: 10/20/21 13:33
Author: traindave

aah its all good :) great job on the timetable 

Date: 10/21/21 09:54
Author: ATSF5669

You produced an excellent TT David, thank you for your hours and hours of work!  For the cost it's got to be one of the best resources available.  NOTE to those who want their TT's spiral bound: you can contact any local print shop who can do this.  Working in our church's Bible print shop for many years taught me a lot about perfect binding like the TT and spiral binding.  Your local printer will have the trimmer to remove the glue lilne, drill the pages and instert a spiral.  Depending on the size of holes your spiral preference is you may even avoid holes in the extreme edges of the printed areas.  By the way Dave your printed did a very high quality product with the binding.

Jerry
ASF5669

Date: 10/22/21 07:45
Author: stevenlsilva

Got mine and sent one to a friend, thank for a great job

Date: 10/26/21 15:26
Author: trkinsptr

Just got mine.Well done!

Date: 10/26/21 15:49
Author: Lackawanna484

Like it, very useful

Posted from Android

Date: 10/26/21 16:59
Author: jofegan

This publication is a pleasant surprise as it fills in the gap left from the Altamont timetables published years ago.  It is very comprehensive - I had no idea that there were that many shortlines present in California.  Will be looking for future editions covering other areas of the United States.  Having Amazon handle the shipping meant that I got my copy sent down here to Australia very quickly.

Best wishes,

-j

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0633 seconds