Home Open Account Help 238 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Sad Locomotive in Galena KS

Date: 10/20/21 19:02
Sad Locomotive in Galena KS
Author: rgzfan

Picture is from 2010. I wonder how it landed in KS.

Date: 10/20/21 19:32
Re: Sad Locomotive in Galena KS
Author: SCKP187

It’s been there several years as you have mentioned. The evening I shot it there was also a burned out UP caboose there
Brian Stevens

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/20/21 20:33
Author: GP30Frank

Looks like it was a rough landing !

Date: 10/21/21 00:14
Author: coach

Those old ALCO switch engines were tough, tough, tough--I love them.  Pulled great, looked great, sounded great.  Some of the best switch engines ever made, and I've had 2 engineers tell me that.

Date: 10/21/21 01:01
Author: Evan_Werkema

Now located a bit outside the city limits to the north and east: https://goo.gl/maps/dkGi96v2FYPZtEbL9

Date: 10/21/21 01:27
Author: Jim700

coach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Those old ALCO switch engines were tough, tough, tough--I love them.  Pulled great, looked great,
> sounded great.  Some of the best switch engines ever made, and I've had 2 engineers tell me that.

Well, coach, I'll make number 3 for you.  I heartily agree.  The first one I ran, an S-2, was in the SP&S Wishram yard at about 5 years of age in the early '50s, while sitting in my engineer father's lap.  The last one was just a couple years ago on the Mt. Rainier Railroad & Logging Museum.  In my opinion, they'd dance a jig around an EMD switcher any day of the week.

Date: 10/21/21 05:01
Author: HarborHog

There is a happier locomotive (70 ton GE?) and caboose at the Galena Mining museum in town.

Date: 10/21/21 07:03
Author: Evan_Werkema

HarborHog Wrote:

> There is a happier locomotive (70 ton GE?) and
> caboose at the Galena Mining museum in town.

Whitcomb 44 ton: https://goo.gl/maps/dS2qdKJ8oT5eTrhE6

Date: 10/21/21 07:26
Author: OSWishram

> > The first one I ran, an S-2, was in the SP&S Wishram yard at about 5 years of age in the early '50s, while sitting in my engineer father's lap.

Hey, Jim . . . did you get a promotion date?  :-)

Bob Willer

Date: 10/21/21 09:17
Author: SCKP187

I finally ran across my photos from 2013 of the switcher and caboose at the depot museum in Galena, and also the burned out UP caboose with the S2
Brian Stevens

Date: 10/21/21 10:47
Author: PHall

SCKP187 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I finally ran across my photos from 2013 of the
> switcher and caboose at the depot museum in
> Galena, and also the burned out UP caboose with
> the S2
> Brian Stevens

That locomotive is an S1. Small square radiator and non-turbo exhaust stack.

Date: 10/21/21 20:49
Author: rgzfan

Yeah, some little fucker set fire to stuff there. He destroyed a >100 year old wooden passenger car that was going to be restored. I hope they find him and hang him by his nads.

Date: 10/23/21 13:59
Author: rrman6

Well, now that the switcher, caboose, and the old passenger car are basically toast, what's the silver flat car existing with a load?  
Looks like there's vandlels that are probably nearly adults that need to come forward, profess of their sins and pass some offerings toward re-construction, but don't count on that happening!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0384 seconds