Home Open Account Help 337 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Fort Madison, IA Question

Date: 10/21/21 12:36
Fort Madison, IA Question
Author: jwl1973

I am a regular viewer of the Fort Madison railcam, enjoying the parade of trains on BNSF's Transcon as they make their way across  the Mississippi.

There is a third track in view, closer to the camera, which appears to also be operated by BSNSF and runs north and south.  There also appears to be a second passenger depot on the line, situated behind (or to the right) of the now-restored ATSF depot on the Transcon.  What is the history of that rail line and depot?

Thanks in advance for the information. 

Date: 10/21/21 12:45
Re: Fort Madison, IA Question
Author: swaool

Former CB&Q line from St. Louis to Burlington IA, and once the route of the joint CB&Q-RI "Zephyr Rocket" which got onto the RI at Burlington and continued north to the Twin Cities.

msw
spokane

Date: 10/21/21 12:48
Author: jwl1973

Thanks

Date: 10/21/21 13:04
Author: flippin77

Go check out my content on YT - "Andy K Seaton" and you'll see some different vantage points of Ft. Madision that I think you'll enjoy;)

Andy

Date: 10/21/21 18:47
Author: atsfgp40x

As mentioned already its the former CBQ K-Line from Burlington to St. Louis. It has been an interesting piece of railroad that hasn't changed much and is primarily a coal line now. 

Peter 

Date: 10/22/21 08:36
Author: ntharalson

The second depot was the Q depot which is now a part of the Lee County Museum, not the correct title, which also runs the former Santa Fe depot and soon to be relocated Amtrak depot.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0396 seconds