Home Open Account Help 369 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > More from the Austin Western...

Date: 12/15/21 18:45
More from the Austin Western...
Author: atx_railfan

Ended up near Elgin, TX today and found the westbound Austin Western 112 job returning to Manor, so I embarked on a sort of mini chase.

1) CEFX SD60 6008 leads the job into Elgin. The trailing ex-SP GP35R and SD40R are on home rails.

2) 6008 passes the old freight depot in Elgin

3) The consist leaving Elgin. The slow track speed on this line combined with a low-traffic road paralleling it the entire way makes for great chasing.

Date: 12/15/21 18:50
Re: More from the Austin Western...
Author: atx_railfan

4) 6008 passes a grade crossing between Manor and Elgin.

5) A blocked grade crossing led to the train stopping on a bridge just shy of the Manor yard lead, which is where I left it. I pulled over and got some pics from the marsh under the bridge. 

6) The westbound rock train from Manor to McNeil is staged at Texas Materials behind a 5 pack of standard cab EMDs. During the day, Capital Metro operates commuter DMUs through the downtown/east Austin portion of the line and Austin Western is not permitted to run through Austin. This train usually departs around 8:30 PM and does work at Balcones Recycling before passing through east Austin around 10 or 11 at night.

Thanks for viewing!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/21 18:50 by atx_railfan.

Date: 12/15/21 19:26
Author: krm152

Excellent photos.  Like them all.
Thanks for your posting.
ALLEN 

Date: 12/15/21 19:31
Author: hotrail

Wonder what the little black box is behind the cab on the conductor's side of 6008?  Looks like a BBQ smoker.  I'm thinking they do it right down there in Texas.

BTW the power pool on that line has more flavor than Baskin-Robbins.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/21 19:32 by hotrail.

Date: 12/16/21 05:33
Author: texchief1

Verry nice photos!  I live in Elgin, TX and sometimes shoot the AW.

RC Lundgren
Elgin,, TX

Date: 12/16/21 09:05
Author: PasadenaSub

Great photos of the Austin Western.

Rich

Date: 12/16/21 14:27
Author: UP951West

Your images are quite well done !  I like the composition in your work . Thanks for keeping us updated on this line. Maybe there will be commuter trains someday between Austin and Elgin. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0476 seconds