Home Open Account Help 243 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > I still shoot slides...

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 01/08/22 16:09
I still shoot slides...
Author: Evan_Werkema

The end of my film-shooting wasn't planned - a gear stripped unexpectedly in the film advance of my old Pentax K-1000.  I decided not to get it fixed and went 100% digital.  I still shoot slides occasionally, though:

Date: 01/08/22 16:14
Re: I still shoot slides...
Author: J.Ferris

GROAN!!!

J.

Date: 01/08/22 16:30
Author: funnelfan

LOL, I've been known to shoot the occasional slide as well!  ;^D

BTW, this was a logging railroad grade before being rebuilt as a road. Looks like they may have built the railroad right on this stump.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 01/08/22 16:49
Author: santafe199

funnelfan Wrote: > ... I've been known to shoot the occasional slide as well ...

Yeah-but, yeah-but.... I  betcha these 2 images didn't cost you $2.47 apiece...

E. scrooge under-study

Date: 01/08/22 16:53
Author: CT97

At least he didn`t say he was an occasional swinger.

Date: 01/08/22 17:16
Author: tehachapifan

Pentax K-1000! I still have mine from 25+ years ago! 

Date: 01/08/22 17:17
Author: Gonut1

I had the shutter curtains on one K-1000 repaired. They gave me a 6 month warrenty. A week or two after the 6 months it failed again. New K-1000s weren't available and digital SLRs out of my price range. I went to ebay and bought a K-1000 from a school in that billiard table state, that had 6 of them, they used them for school pictures! Mine had a crude #3 scratched into it! I got few more years out of that and then the gears stripped like Evan's. By then I had a cheap 50mpixel digital point and shoot that Siemens gave me as a gift for 5 years service, wow. Pure junk but a friend gave me his Sony as he replaced his with a new one so he go scuba diving. Then a guy I worked with gave me a real Canon Digital SLR that I still have. I never went back to film.
On the other slide topic - Interesting that a logging railroad would build over a stump but then again they were usually considered temporary.
Gonut 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/22 17:28 by Gonut1.

Date: 01/08/22 17:31
Author: RRBMail

Still use my Nikon N-2000 with 500k miles on it for back-up! I feel its was about the best film camera that Nikon made given it's simplicity, rugged metal body, and compactness. I've been told that the military liked them for the same reason. Twenty+ years ago, I was on a bridge in Germany checking out the diesel deadline, when I leaned too far out and one of my N-2000s tumbled out of my backpack and on to the tracks below. Went down and picked it up--it still worked--albeit with a dent on the pentaprism casing! 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/22 17:39 by RRBMail.

Date: 01/08/22 18:15
Author: jgilmore

Nice shot Evan, good for you. I used a K-1000 as a primary camera for years until I left it on top of the car at Texarkana and gave chase to a UP Z train in the early 90s and that was that. Salvaged the lens though. Note to newer railfans: Cameras don't stay atop a moving car for long!

JG

Date: 01/08/22 20:12
Author: GN1969

I have a FM-2 bought new and a FE bought used. Love them both.

Date: 01/08/22 22:47
Author: baltimore

Still shooting slides with a trio of Nikon F5's. 150 rolls per year. Life is good, results are great. Long live slide film!!

Baltimore

Date: 01/09/22 06:36
Author: SlideSellerII

santafe199 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> funnelfan Wrote: > ... I've been known to shoot
> the occasional slide as well ...
>
> Yeah-but, yeah-but.... I  betcha these 2 images
> didn't cost you $2.47 apiece...
>
> E. scrooge under-study

More like PIA know it all. Your hate for anything non-digital is well published, yet you have to let the world know once again. Isn't there some low light hole in the world you could venture to?

Date: 01/09/22 07:12
Author: ntharalson

Well I still shoot slides and will continue to do so, even at 2.47 a shot.  I'm using a Canon EOS3 but have a Pentax K-1000 in reservice.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 01/09/22 07:38

SlideSellerII Wrote: > ... Your hate for anything non-digital is well published ...

SERIOIUSLY? And what about the 1000s of slide images I've posted in the last 10 years?? I was poking fun at the situation, especially with my 'scrooge' signature. Or did you all of a sudden forget how you emboldened it? This is your 2nd vicious personal attack on me. Who are you, the end of the world?? And what about the several dozens of other TO members, such as Gonut1 on this same thread, who JUST LIKE ME mourn the death of Kodachrome but equally appreciate the capabilities of replacement digital technology? I don't see you pooping all over them. You need to take your hypocritical BS and slide it right back up the exhaust port it came out of...

Date: 01/09/22 07:50
Author: seod

Wow $2.47 a shot the price of poker has gone up. Out of curiosity I looked up Fuji Provia 100F the film I used until I was priced out of using film (KM25 until it was killed than Provia). The last rolls I shot was about 65 cents per shot. Provia 100F is now $19.99 a roll with a Fuji mailer at $12.99 with free shipping over $49 than you add tax onto that. So for Provia 100F that comes out to just about $1 a shot. I still have my Nikon F100 which I considered the best camera I ever owned. I might shoot some film in the future so I am holding onto it just in case.

Back in the old days when I would go out taking pictures I would shoot 5+ rolls on a good day that would be about $180 for a fun day out that is a bit beyond my means right now. I will say I do like the usefulness of my Nikon D7500 it is a pretty amazing machine.

The last 2 slide shows I went to I broke out the slide projector and a 80 tray of slides it went well. It is the first time in about 10 years where I showed slides and it went fine.

Scott O'Dell

Date: 01/09/22 08:00

seod Wrote: > ... $2.47 a shot the price of poker has gone up ...

I just took an arbitrary stab at a figure, for the sake of poking fun. RIGHT BEHIND Ted having fun with his "shooting a slide" play on words. The last person I talked to about the sheer cost of shooting slides put the start-to-finish price per slide at over $2 each, so I thought I was correctly in the ballpark. Then Mr Personality has to go and blow his cork with personal viciousness. It must really suck to be blind to the many thousands of slide images I've posted in the past 10 years, as well as to not have any sense of humor whatsoever...

Lance/199

Date: 01/09/22 08:20
Author: masterphots

Time for Senior Viejo to chime in from Chile.  I use digital for everything except trains.  There,  still using the old Nikon F3s and Provia 100F.   Since I no longer travel back in forth to the US,  when I have ten rolls to process,  it's FedEx to and from Kansas.  Which brings the total cost to about $60/roll,  or $1.68 a slide.  

Date: 01/09/22 08:37
Author: junctiontower

Not to pile on, but that is the point I having been trying to make for awhile.  With the current cost of film and processing, you could justify buying digital equipment in very short order just on that factor.  If you STILL insist on hard copies, shoot digital, edit and only print the best of what you took. I took 34 shots of one of my dogs one day to get the ONE that I wanted. Who in the hell wants to pay for 33 rejects?

Date: 01/09/22 09:59
Author: Evan_Werkema

junctiontower Wrote:

> I took 34 shots of one of my dogs one day to get the ONE that I wanted. Who in the hell wants to pay for 33 rejects?

To be honest, I have the same problem with trains.  That's why I ended up stripping the film advance on my K-1000 - I beat it to death pumping way too much film through it in hopes of panning at least a few gold nuggets from the alluvium of photosilver.  It took at least half a dozen attempts on different days and well over the equivalent of a roll of film to get the "slide" shot that opened this thread. 

Date: 01/09/22 10:54
Author: DonWinslow

Hey slide-seller, why make a remark like this.....".More like PIA know it all. Your hate for anything non-digital is well published, yet you have to let the world know once again. Isn't there some low light hole in the world you could venture to?"
Lance is a major contributor to this board and has posted more photos than you could count. Why take a stab like this at him. If you don't like something then don't click on it. This board has been getting more and more trolls on it lately (like you and your remark) who just make it not a pleasure to vist here anymore. I for one, post quite a few "low light" photos on here. Not like you, there are plenty of folks that enjoy them. Smart a$$ remarks are not welcome here. 

Don Winslow
Glendora, CA
http://www.donwinslow.net/Railroads

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0897 seconds