Home Open Account Help 234 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP Track Work Between Marfa & Van Horne TX

Date: 01/09/22 18:59
UP Track Work Between Marfa & Van Horne TX
Author: rgzfan

Wow, so apparently they're double-tracking the main through this area. It was hard to find a room in Alpine because UPRR/Herzog reportedly has 250 employees staying in town. I didn't have this all sorted out when I was shooting the video, which is why my narration is so oblivious.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 01/09/22 19:16
Re: UP Track Work Between Marfa & Van Horne TX
Author: PVSfan

There are two different UP mainlines in West Texas.
Through Van Horn is the former T&P line.
Through Marfa is the former SP Sunset Route.

They join at Sierra Blanca.

Date: 01/09/22 19:25

Here's a neat railroad bridge I found in West Texas.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 01/09/22 19:26

Interesting. I need to look at a railroad map. When will Google add an icon I can click on to highlight railroads????

PVSfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are two different UP mainlines in West
> Texas.
> Through Van Horn is the former T&P line.
> Through Marfa is the former SP Sunset Route.
>
> They join at Sierra Blanca.

Date: 01/09/22 19:30
Author: jgilmore

Guessing it's just regular MOW, certainly not double-tracking with only 10 or so trains a day out there (through Alpine). Plus PSR reduces physical plant, not adds it...

JG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/22 19:31 by jgilmore.

Date: 01/09/22 19:44
Author: GCL13

Nice view of the Devil River Bridge. The first video appears to be work extending a siding. UP has been extending sidings to 15000 feet on Sunset and T&P route to allow for longer trains. 

Date: 01/09/22 21:07
Author: tomstp

Correct, the new normal length for passing tracks is to be  around  15,000 ft although some may be slightly shorter because of excessive cost or longer if not hard obstacles.  On the T&P route siding improvements are from 12,000 ft to over 17,000 feet with a bunch in the 15,000 ft. range.  It has traffic than the Sunset Route and one could say by lengthening trains there may even be less trains per day.

Date: 01/10/22 06:57
Author: NormSchultze

That is the first of three really nice bridges west of Del Rio,   It is over Lake Amistead.  The second one is near Langtry, home of Judge Roy Bean who claimed to be the "Law West of the Pecos".  That is Eagles Nesy Canyon.  easily shot from the side of US90.  The third is the Pecos River High Bridge.  Not really accessible any longer, but there is a place along US90 to see it in the distance.   

Date: 01/10/22 07:43
Author: masterphots

Marfa,  where they filmed the movie "Giant" in 1955

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0312 seconds