Home Open Account Help 375 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Truckee

Date: 01/11/22 12:38
Truckee
Author: LarryB

While watching the Truckee cam several hours ago, I saw an extremely long train with six lead locomotives (didn't see the mid or rear DPUs)  pass through westbound.   I just now pulled up the cam and what looks like the same train was backing eastbound through Truckee.  It's now just sitting east of the crossing.  Problem on Donner?  Power problems?

Date: 01/11/22 12:53
Re: Truckee
Author: traindave

yea heard something about power issues maybe the 2nd headend unit 

Date: 01/11/22 14:35
Author: pdt

Power cut off train at 230 p.  power ran west light...they are talking to someone else up around MP 205 on the hill.
Sounds like they will be taking a engine off a EB train on its way down the hill..

Date: 01/11/22 14:36

but sounds like both crews are running low on time hmm

Date: 01/11/22 15:56

Like that would be unusual.     Amtk 6 took a 1 hr+ hit for UP playing around on the hill, but what else is new. 
Turns out there was an EB freight behind Amtk with 7 units and not that long a train.  Unless half their units were dead...they could have done the engine swap with that train, and not delayed Amtrak and the 2 EB;s that were in  front of Amtk.   I guess just nobody cares.

These days, an hour delay for amtk isnt too bad I guess....we'll just see if they actually make up time, or keep falling more behind.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/22 16:18 by pdt.

Date: 01/11/22 16:16
Author: Pantsthecat

There’s another eastbound stack train above donner lake at 415pm.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/11/22 16:38

Sp 2nd unit    woot    up6378 says the heritage tracker   IOANP

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/22 16:43 by traindave.

Date: 01/11/22 16:43

4 hours later, and the WB with power issues is still sitting east of truckee

Date: 01/11/22 16:57

shes finely on the move  i think shes the MRORV  
and this kinda stuff seems to happen in truckee a few times a year, pluse theres the times when a wb train sets out some cars on the track two sding but never seem to happen in the winter 

Date: 01/11/22 17:13
Author: ProAmtrak

I wonder how things operated when SP was still around!

Date: 01/11/22 20:50

with all the stored power these days...you'd think truckee might be a good place to have 2 helper engines available on the M/W , yard tracks.   Like theres never gonna be a stall on the grade again, or need for added braking action on the way down the west side...

Over 5 hours to get a stalled train over the mountain going west today...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/22 21:15 by pdt.

Date: 01/12/22 03:57
Author: cozephyr

Helpers stationed at Truckee, CA, would be a wise move.

On Colorado's Joint Line BNSF maintains units at Castle Rock and Spruce (north of Palmer Lake, CO,) to assist trains that encounter issues on the Palmer Divide.  Live and learn  - Fort Worth folks have made the right choice-!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0467 seconds