Home Open Account Help 147 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Trains map books

Date: 01/11/22 16:49
Trains map books
Author: koloradokid

Fior t hose that have them, does either of the two volumes have a map of the LA Basin.  Research keeps leading me into this are that I have to admit, I am a not well informed.

TIA

Robert

Date: 01/11/22 17:53
Re: Trains map books
Author: jgilmore

Not at home now but if IIRC vol. 2 has one. Maybe somebody can confirm...

JG

Posted from Android

Date: 01/11/22 19:26
Author: jst3751

There are other great options available.

Mike Walker's "North American Railroad Atlas" California & Neveda"
David M Bernstein's "California Railroad Timetable 1" from King Street Press

Date: 01/11/22 19:41
Author: callum_out

White River Publications is reproducing the SPV series of map books, they had several basin and local area maps in the Cali edition.

Out 

Date: 01/11/22 19:50
Author: RuleG

Railroad Maps Vol. 2 published in 2020 has what you are seeking.  A Southern California rail map is on pages 36 - 37.  The geographic coverage extends northwest to Topanga, east to Cajon, San Bernardino and Riverside and a bit south of Santa Ana.

You may also want to get the first Railroad Maps special issue published in 2013.  It has a detailed map of Cajon Pass.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/22 18:26 by RuleG.

Date: 01/11/22 21:02
Author: pdt

Id recommend....
David M Bernstein's "California Railroad Timetable 1" from King Street Press

In addition to maps, it has the timetable pages.   Unless u have a really detailed map, its hard to figure out all the realignments and changes that have happened since the opening of the alameda trench...especially...
The LA/LB port area, up thru Dominguez
Downtown LA thru Redondo Jct
West Colton
Pomona

Date: 01/12/22 15:10
Author: HomerBedloe

KK, have you tried openrailwaymap.org?  Lot of info re: number of tracks, CP names and locations, MPs, ownership and such.  Also shows a lot (all?) of the industrial spurs, branches, etc.  Zoom in tight or give yourself an overview with a superimposed street map so you can get yourself around.

Date: 01/13/22 15:15
Author: ironmtn

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> White River Publications is reproducing the SPV
> series of map books, they had several basin and
> local area maps in the Cali edition.
>
> Out

Thanks very much for calling out the fact that White River is now issuing the excellent SPV map books. I read that and immediately went online to White River's website and ordered several that I did not obtain back when Steam Powered Video / Mike Walker was originally publishing them. Those original-issue titles can be quite difficult (and expensive) to buy second-hand. The titles I ordered shipped within a day, and I am very much looking forward to receiving them.

Thanks too to White River for undertaking the re-publication of the titles. Not all are available for sale right now, and some (such as Arizona - New Mexico) are shown as sold out. One has to hope that White River will continue to issue them, and either issue titles not yet issued in the future, or further re-issue those already sold out. They are a terrific resource.

MC

Date: 01/24/22 06:53
Author: colehour

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> White River Publications is reproducing the SPV
> series of map books, they had several basin and
> local area maps in the Cali edition.

Are these simply reprints or is there some new information?

I like the maps, but there are a few errors in spelling, for example, which leads me to wonder about accuracy in other areas. I recall that on one map (Great Lakes East) there is a line depicted that I can find no historical basis for. I know that sometimes mapmakers deliberately put in an error or two in order to show that it is uniquely theirs -- a way to prove if someone is stealing the information for profit.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0471 seconds